Head torches

1–10 of 11

Looking for recommendations for a headtorch that is "waterproof enough to use in heavy rain, lightweight, bright and has a good battery life" for a Christmas present. Not going to be used for anything extreme or technical. Budget up to approx $100 - 120. Thanks.
I've been pretty happy with a BD Spot head-torch over 4+ years - models have changed a bit (and multiplied, it seems - more choice). Certainly waterproof, it has a good locking soft-switch to prevent accidental in-pack operation (common across the range, I believe).
black diamond spot and storm.. all you're likely to need for tramping,, they have variable brightness setting the storm has three extra colour LED's for when you dont want to affect your night vision or you dont want to disurb others with a bright light... has wide and narrow focus beams
Another question to answer is what type of battery do they want? If you take an USB power bank tramping for charging phones/gps watches or are concerned about the environmental footprint of single-use batteries, then choose an USB rechargeable battery/headlamp . About the only downfall of a rechargeable headlamp is if the battery is non-removable, then once the battery is flat, it can take several hours to recharge (no fast charging here!) so you are without a light. If I do not expect long periods of night tramping, I take a rechargeable headlamp. Likewise if you expect long periods of night tramping then headlamps with replaceable batteries are better. I've heard some good things about the Petzl accu core system but that's outside the given budget. Petzl and Black Diamond are well-known outdoor brands and widely available, Fenix and Nitecore are two other high quality lesser-known brands and are reasonably available in NZ. At the cheaper end of the market the Energizer range available at virtually every big box hardware and Warehouse store is pretty decent too.
I have / like the Nitecore headlamps. Have a Nu32. https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/nu32 Things I like: IP67 (Waterproof to 1 m for at least an hour) Most important of all, a reliable 'stay off' mode for when it's in your pack. Virtually all headlamp failures now days are due to the thing getting bumped and turning on accidentally in your pack and the battery going flat. This one has two buttons, hold them down together and it's in lock mode, won't turn on again unless you press them both together again. Re-chargable Li, not replaceable, but I've found if starting on full charge and mostly using the lower 33 and 190 Lumens ranges, it lasts for a 10 day winter trip with some walking and camping in the dark most nights. I'd rather have a re-chargeable Li battery, I think they last longer than a single set of AAA batteries (3 x according to website?) The pain with single use AAA's is what do you do when you finish a trip with partly used batteries. Leave them in and take a second set, then you don't have much idea when they'll run out, if they run out in the middle of a dark and rainy night, you're fumbling around finding then changing batteries in the dark and wet.
>Another question to answer is what type of battery do they want? Get a AAA headlamp and use rechargeable batteries. And carry a set of regular batteries as spares (they will last up to a decade on standby) The best rechargeables are Eneloops. They discharge very slowly (often lasts over a year)
I'd agree with you on prefering Lithium ion batteries over NiCad. I use a torch rather than headlamp so can't help re mofels, but would only buy a torch with removable LI batteries such as 18650. Best of both worlds: can carry spares rather than stuffing around with power packs but get the much higher energy density and charge retention.
Eneloops are RTU NiMh (not Li-ion) and come in standard sizes like AA, AAA etc. Whereas your typical Li-ion uses sizes like 18650, which is unique to this technology ... and a bit larger/higher voltage. If you can't charge it in the field, then the likelihood of finding another one are low (whereas AA is common/ubiquitous) The Li-Ion are more powerful (or longer lasting) and you get more powerful handhelds Personally for a headset, I would get a AAA model ... if your rechargeable runs out, you can just pop in an Duracell/Energizer) You can't go wrong with a BD spot
Eneloops are RTU NiMh (not Li-ion) and come in standard sizes like AA, AAA etc. Whereas your typical Li-ion uses sizes like 18650, which is unique to this technology ... and a bit larger/higher voltage. If you can't charge it in the field, then the likelihood of finding another one are low (whereas AA is common/ubiquitous) The Li-Ion are more powerful (or longer lasting) and you get more powerful handhelds Personally for a headset, I would get a AAA model ... if your rechargeable runs out, you can just pop in an Duracell/Energizer) You can't go wrong with a BD spot
The key thing whether you go for AAA or 18650 is to ensure you can swap batteries in the field. A power pack to charge a torch with is not much use in the dark in a gale in the rain on the tops. Then you just want to slot in a new battery & continue to safety.
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by chris1
On 13 November 2021
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown