Tararuas - Smith Creek to Puffer Saddle

1–10 of 11

Hi I’m seeking some updated advice for a day walk with family in the weekend. It’s some time since I’ve done the loop from Kaitoke to the old Dobsons hut site, down to Smith Creek shelter and out via Puffer Saddle. From vague recollection it used to take about 4 hours, but there was a significant slip just past the shelter that extended the walk by another hour or so. Has anyone been in there recently and can advise if this is still the situation? Cheers
the DOC page notes the slip is still there https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/wellington-kapiti/places/tararua-forest-park/things-to-do/tracks/smith-creek-tauherenikau-river/
Thumbs up
That slip has been noted for about 20 years. Known locally as blue slip. If you follow Docs alternate track 1.5 hours is about right. However the slip is normally easily traversed or if the Creeck is low/normal its a nice 20 minute ramble down there. Watch out for the exit point which is poorly marked but if you find a significant side stream on the true left this is a viable exit as well
Thumbs up
I haven't been that way since October 2017, when the signposting of the alternate route didn't seem to be there and I accidentally reached the slip when the track abruptly ended in a way I thought I couldn't safely get across. I'm assuming this is Blue Slip? In any case I backtracked 50 metres and (good weather!) it was easy to drop into Smith Creek, wade underneath the slip for 2 minutes, and then climb back up to the track. Then, a few minutes later, I found the signpost at the far end (closer to the shelter) for people coming the other way, signposting the alternate route up-hill. I tried following it for a short while, to see where it was meant to come out, but at that time it appeared very eroded. Markers vanished and I felt uncomfortable for my safety. I'd be amazed if whatever was broken with the alternate route hasn't been addressed by now. Can someone who's been there more recently confirm?
Thumbs up
That sign is as old as the slip and so rotten its unreadable. That is the blue slip. Only once could I not pick a way across. Someone will force a way across again and a track will be formed by the footsteps
Thumbs up
Thanks for the feedback everyone. We ended up going to the old hut site and up towards Marchant ridge and returning the same way, rather than dropping down to Smith Creek. First outing in a long time and was lovely to be in the bush again, although having not used my old Meindls for a few years found that the soles had compressed and come off by the time we got back to the car park!
I was there a couple of weeks ago, there is a slip on the way in before Smiths Creek shelter, this is passible although at the very end the track is under cut so it's worth taking the short detour up the bank. On the way back we tried the divert around the slip, this is a very steep climb up and once up the hill went for quite a while, there were quite a few (looked very recent) trees fallen over the route which you have to get past. The route back down to the track is steeper than the way up but it's a tree route ladder so actually easier. I didn't time it but the divert probbaly added 45mins or so. Wouldn't do it again and wouldn't be keen with a pack.
You refer to Blue Slip, I remember this from many years (okay decades) ago when I used to spend most weekends in the valley. Curious recently I went looking for it. Past the Cricket Pitch you cross a stream then turn right to cross the new bridge. If you don't turn and keep going you reach the start of the Block XVI track, instead of going left up that you continue and that takes you to the top of what used to be Blue Slip. From memory the old wet weather track used to cross the top of it and continue. These days it is completely grown over, I crossed the bridge and confirmed you can't see any of it anymore which is a pity as it used to be very imposing.
i think i used to see the block XVI turnoff from marchant ridge in the 80's from memory it was hard to find at the bottom back then, its still on the latest topomap... you had to hunt for the bottom of the omega track, but once you found it , it was easy to follow... well for a steep track, i only went down the omega...
I wonder if there are 2 things called blue slip. The term blue slip is common in many areas in NZ and normally refers to a slip or rockfall that has uncovered or involved greywacke rock which has a blueish grey appearance. Strange though that there should be 2 slips referred to as blue slip in the same valley. I know there is a large slip on the true left of the Turenekau above the new bridge. This is the main reason for the new bridge. However Ive never known a name for that slip. This is the slip Discus is describing and it would impede access to the Omega and Block XVI tracks. Do remember DOC "officially" closed these 2 tracks some 5 or more years ago. This slip would not affect a circuit of Smiths Creek Dobsons Puffer. The slip I know as Blue slip is just after the second tributary of Smiths creek that you cross on the way in from Puffer Saddle. It is an area maybe 400 meters long but normally there are only 2 difficult bits that you might have to scramble over. If it looks too hard a short decent into Smiths Creek will get you through unless its in flood. Smiths Creek is normally easy travel. When Smiths Creek shelter was built I was in WTMC and the arrangement was we built the foundation and concrete block wall and then Doc helicoptered the wooden top half in. All the concrete and concrete blocks was carried in via backpacks plus a concrete mixer and generator were taken in via that track the mixer on its own wheels and the generator in a wheelbarrow. Luckily the 4wd track almost to Puffer saddle was still passable in a 4wd and the track was a little better than it is today
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by jcmck
On 6 January 2021
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown