What is like at the moment in the kiwi mountains ?

1–10 of 17

Hi guys, Hope you are well... I was wondering how the absence of tourist and travellers from around the world have impacted the mountains and treks ? More space in the huts ? More silence in the mountains with no tourist ? I would love to know how it is. Have a good day G.
My observations are that if anything the mountains are busier than ever, front country areas anyway. I have struggled to get into most huts during the weekends around Canterbury since the lockdown ended. Still that's why I carry a tent, often a better nights sleep in a tent too. Counted 35 cars parked at Andrews Shelter a couple of months ago. I have heard secondhand that great walks bookings are filling up fast.
covid made no impact on great walks bookings at all. https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/travel/2020/06/doc-reports-36-percent-rise-in-great-walk-accommodation-bookings.html So far, 6267 bookings have been made for the 2020-2021 season That's an increase of 36 percent on last year https://www.doc.govt.nz/news/media-releases/2020-media-releases/doc-preparing-to-host-more-kiwis-than-ever/ DOC bookings data to 31 October 2020, shows 2020/21 Great Walks bednight bookings (excluding the Milford and Routeburn tracks which are operating reduced seasons this year due to storm damage) are up 23%, and 93% of them were made by New Zealanders.
Thumbs up
Depending on where you look, there's a little more space on the shoulders of peak holiday time & on week days between weekends. Still very touristy.
Thumbs up
One issue the lack of overseas tourists is causing is the loss of public transport options to some road ends. With the Routeburn as a Great Walk it's still busy, so there is public transport to those road ends and the Rees and Dart, but there is no scheduled public transport to Raspberry Creek (West Matukituki). Makes some through trips difficult unless you have 4 people to split a taxi fare or are prepared to pay the $160 fare yourself.
Wow... I guess that many New Zealanders are staying at home so they thinking to explore more their own backyards. Plus some students or working visa that stayed in NZ are playing a big role ? I thought would've be more quiet but I'm guessing that I'm wrong :D
Still a lot of Covid refugees floating around. Pre-opening on the Routeburn there were just a few NZer. Majority were foreigners not yet returning home. But, that's just who could travel before holiday season. Probably very different stats today.
Thumbs up
Tourist site wise was recently up at Brewster Hut doing maintenance & that was full of overseas students who've finshed their courses but can't work and don't want to go home. 4 parties of them the 24hrs I was there. Over winter the remote little-used backcountry network was the busiest I've ever seen it ... I put that down to post-lockdown restlessness. Never meet any tourists in that country so no surprise it was all kiwis. Last 3 months I've been more busy working in Central Otago so bumping into 4wders and hunters (& idiots) who will alwaus be locals - feels like more than usual. Nowhere else to go?
Thumbs up
I find this time of year the hills - front country at least - is always packed. I always prefer to wait until March/April to get away when there is less company.
I was on the Te Araroa Trail the other weekend and overseas people are still coming through. Perhaps they overwintered and then resumed their journeys.
Thumbs up
1–10 of 17

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by giuseppe23
On 22 December 2020
Replies 16
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown