suggestions for 2-3 days in Te Uruwera or Kawekas

1–10 of 11

New to the area, and these look like the closest spots for me. Not interested in great walks or highly manicured tracks really (but, I have never done the Lake Waikeromoana great walk so i guess i should at some point if it's a bit less *developed* that stuff like the Abel Tasman). I carry a PLB and tramp solo normally. I like physical challenge and am always keen to keep improving my navigation skills (so I like to go off marked trails for short-ish sections, but wouldn't be that confident bashing through 10km of bush). Any suggestions for 2-3 day tramps in either Te Uruwera or the Kawekas?
the springs are best avoided on long weekends and xmas holidays but otherwise, take in a trip where you can soak your bones... come a long way since it was just a couple of fibreglass baths with some vc pipe channeling the water in... https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/hawkes-bay/places/kaweka-forest-park/things-to-do/tracks/te-puia-hut-track-and-mangatainoka-hot-springs/ the kawekas is far better covered for density of tracks and huts. but the urewera bush is as good as it gets.
Both are wonderful. Kawekas - just go for it. Can't choose a bad walk there. Good tracks, busy huts. Uruwera: different beast. Amazing bush. Almost no views except one hghpoint (Te Rangaakapua) in the east overlooking the Waioeka. Apart from the main loop up the Whakatane & down the next river east (which is quite well used & maintained) it's rough tracks - more like routes in the west - and empty ratty huts. Safe parking can be an issue in some parts. The Waioeka is also amazing if you want a river trip - not quite Uruwera though. Loop from Moanui to Tawa / Koranga for example. Don't overlook the Whirinaki. Good bush like Uruwera but better maintained tracks etc.
As @Madpom said hard to go wrong in the Kawekas — lots of tracks below the bushline and open tops above it all make for great walking when the weather is nice. When it is foul it can be absolutely horrible! Really can't go wrong with anywhere in there. Is probably my favourite North Island spot as it reminds me a lot of the South Island. A personal favourite trip (if you like climbing) is drive in to Makahu Saddle (note this is off Whittle Rd not Makahu rd). Then climb to the range to summit Kaweka J, drop down to Rocks Ahead Hut for the night. Then up over the Venison Tops and back to the main range at Whetu and along past North Kaweka and back to Makahu saddle. If you are fit it should be a solid two days but lots of huts to spread it out longer if need be. No real navigation challenges in good weather though as always if the clouds roll in that can change.
Echoing @madpom's suggestion regarding the mighty Whirinaki: Excellent tracks through ancient forest with great huts.
Thanks for the tips all, few good ideas will keep me busy on weekends. I like the look of your Makahu Saddle trip, @dodgydave, so will give that a crack. @Madpom re: parking issues - you mean re theft?
Just the signs of broken window glass and stories 3rd hand. I've never had issues but have generally found a farm to leave vehicle at and walked the extra to the roadend.
Leaving at a farm is a good idea. I'm on a motorbike which is pretty stealable, regardless of what I do to protect it - if someone wants it enough.
Yeah, had my broken into in Whirinaki and since found out that wasn't too uncommon.
Are sandflies much of an issue in the forests of the North island? E.g. kawekas or Te Uruwera etc.. Wondering if I can go without the inner of my tent and just use a tarp.
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by dreambroom
On 15 December 2020
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown