Good RNZ Interview

"A backcountry expert is calling for a fundamental rethink at the Department of Conservation - away from a focus overseas visitors, towards better serving growing numbers of New Zealanders getting into outdoor recreation. Peter Wilson is on the board of the Back Country Trust, a former President and current board member of Federated Mountain Clubs, on the board of the Awakino Ski Field and a life member of the Otago University Tramping Club. He says it's great that increasing numbers of New Zealanders are out exploring their own backyard, but the Conservation Department needs to change its focus accordingly. Peter talks with Kathryn, along with Department of Conservation Director of Heritage and Visitors Steve Taylor, and Dr Stephen Espiner, who is leading a Lincoln University study into how lockdown has affected New Zealanders' outdoor recreation and domestic tourism." https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/ninetonoon/audio/2018772958/calls-for-doc-to-refocus-on-backyard-recreation Well worth a listen. Peter Wilson is especially good.
Thumbs up
26 comments
11–20 of 26

Geeves could you explain more about heavy metals being leeched from timber? Is that due to the way timber is treated?
Yes it is timber treatments that leach out. It isnt really a problem in the small quantities used in a hut but in comparison to a plastic hut it does show the plastic to be not quite as big a villain as some people would believe
Vinyards are increasingly shifting to steel posts rather than timber for that reason. Think of all those hundreds of tannelised posts in a vinyard leaching copper arsenide (or whatever treatment is used) into the soil. It becomes detectable in the end product.
I'd heard tanalizing chemicals were turning up in marlborough artesian water.. the toxic chemicals for making rain gear water repellent is also being found in the environment, doesnt break down easily... some arguments that while some of them break down they just break down to different toxins...
howden hut not being rebuilt https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/experiences/hiking-holidays/123481430/routeburn-tracks-lake-howden-hut-wont-be-rebuilt-after-mudslide
@Geeves gotcha. But that's only an issue if using chemically treated wood, right? I'm not sure how commonly available alternative treatments are in NZ, but it wasn't difficult (though usually more expensive) to get heat treated in the northern hemisphere. Other cultures use smoked wood (bamboo is usually treated this way - smoked for several weeks). I realise those options might be niche or even unsuitable (I don't know enough about the payoffs of each option), but the point was if they really wanted, they could choose a building material that didn't leech metals or micro plastics. Again, I don't claim to be an expert - but I don't think it's fair to slam those criticizing the choice of plastics, I presume those same people would also criticize chemically treated timber. Personally I don't know enough one way or the other!
Yes they are the people that want to lock down the conservation estate for no one to enjoy
That's sad about Howden Hut not being rebuilt. I got to spend six weeks there (it's a long story) once and I've very fond memories of it.
@geeves I must be missing something about the argument here? Do you mean because they’re suggesting that any building is too polluting? I have mixed feelings about NZs long history and huge number of huts. I think they’re great in high use areas or areas with well defined trails, but there is also something special about genuine wilderness areas with no permanent structures - and the requisite skills required in tramping and camping in them. Eg Alaska
The nay sayers cant stand anything that others do for enjoyment. Everything we do leaves a mark. Every building creates some pollution. rthe trick is to build as efficiently as possible so as to minimise the long term effects. One of the things with those turks was the design life which is quoted as 20 years. We know they will probably last 5 times that but that was one of the things they grabbed hold of
11–20 of 26

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by PhilipW
On 21 November 2020
Replies 25
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown