Clothes for NZ sun?

Today was a scorcher and I loathe wearing sunscreen. I’ve been just wearing shorts and a short sleeve top in the heat but am getting more wary of protecting myself against UV exposure. Ideally without too much sunscreen. I’ve seen “sun shirts” popular with desert hikers in the US. Basically a loose fitting top with a UPF Rating of 25+ (many standard shirts are closer to UPF 5). Obviously all the Americans have American recommendations. What are the sun conscious among us using for protection?
48 comments
31–40 of 48

That's exactly it. I didn't realise the importance of electrolytes until then. I was on the side of the road (thankfully) and tried to get the attention of ultrarunner type guys running past. They said "sorry, we're trying to set a personal best!" I think their support crew came up behind them as a van stopped a few minutes later to help. The driver diagnosed me of sodium loss. Was still bewildered by the first two people, even if they knew their van behind would help.. (and I'm not even sure it was theirs). I started feeling the symptoms again the next day. Ate a stock cube on the side of a big scree descent, which was pretty awful but addressed the problem short term
you can easily loose a couple of desert spoons or more of salt in your sweat on a hot day when exercising.... you need a good quarter of a teaspoon of salt or around a gram per litre of water you consume. rising temperatures may make salt loss more of a health issue in the future... its not just the air temperature, NZ's strong sun makes it a problem when you're out in the open, driving up your temperature a lot more. then add some altitude to that and the sun just keeps getting stronger... the backs of black cows have been measured at over 50 degrees, i favour baggy shirts with a knitted material that airs better.
the backs of black cows have been measured at over 50 degrees, Last summer I shone a laser thermometer at the black fur of our cat. 65C She moved out of the sun a short time later. Salt though is more complex If you believe the doctors most people have too much sodium in their bodies so could afford to loose some
yeah but if you're sweating a lot, too much salt isnt going to be a problem. its a problem for people who are more average and exercise less...
""The micrococci are able to grow better on polyester," says Callewaert. He is currently investigating exactly why polyester encourages their growth, and suspects it has to do with the nature of its surfaces...."They are known for their enzymatic potential to transform long-chain fatty acids, hormones, and amino acids into smaller -- volatile -- compounds, which have a typical malodor.""" https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140903163635.htm#:~:text=Polyester%20clothes%20smell%20worse%20than,on%20polyester%2C%20according%20to%20research.&text=On%20the%20clothes%2C%20the%20main,bacteria%20are%20micrococci%2C%20says%20Callewaert. And, yeah, white vinegar is the trouble shooter, Aardvark. Some of the hunting gear has silver thread incorporated to eliminate the bacterial stink.
Thumbs up
The Warehouse Active intent range has smell reducers built in. I find they work well enough but they do fail before the shirt does.
I find it ironic that I'm wearing long-life clothing, so the only smell at the end of the trip is me !.
I wear Earth Sea Sky Prolite long-sleeved shirts. I think they're nylon. Before that I had a coolmax shirt but it eventually rotted in the back. I recycled the sleeves though as I commandeered Frank's short sleeve coolmax shirt! (until I lost them). I wear long prolite type trousers and use bowyangs above and below the knees. I do look a sight but I don't care as I'm very comfortable. With bowyangs you can get your trousers wet and they won't catch at the kneesm going uphill. You can put them on your overtrousers in the rain too. I'm not a big sweater so I can wear sunscreen OK. There is a place for using the lip balm on your nose and stuff as it is less likely to drip off, I suspect. If you wear the lip balm on a lanyard, you're more likely to remember to reapply it after meals and drinks. For some reason, I can't stand merino. I wore it only once for 3 and a quarter hours in the rain and still get a heat rash from the hip belt as a consequence of that day. I've bought and tried the jerseys and given them away in the end - too heavy and not warm enough. I guess I'm a polarfleece girl at heart. Possum merino is another matter though. Amazing stuff but has anyone else noticed no one under 60 seems to be wearing it?
No one under 60 can afford it
Grinning
Thumbs up
It does seem that some people just can't wear Merino/wool, which just is what it is. As with you @Honroa I have also found it makes a poor outer layer and wind just cuts through it. Would also much prefer fleece as the outer layer for the additional wind protection.
31–40 of 48

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by dreambroom
On 13 November 2020
Replies 47
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown