Learning about mountain weather in N.Z

Anyone found a useful source for learning how to read and anticipate mountain weather in N.Z? I've read a bit about mountain and valley winds but would like to become more proficient. If you haven't got an In Reach and want to head up to a pass or you need to orientate your tent the best way possible in anticipation of howling winds then this might be a useful skill! Thanks
I'm sure any of the mountain guiding companies can suggest a number of books available. I did a 10 day Technical Mountaineering Course in 2000 with Alpine Guides - Mt.Cook. It was a great start to understanding mountain weather in NZ.
If you are in a steep valley the wind wont blow across the valley although if the prevailing wind is in that direction and strong enough it could become quite gusty from all directions. Normally it only blows up or down the valley
If you can get your hands on a complete set of old FMC bulletins then the 'weather to go' column was really informative. Maybe fmc should collate them & publish. Will leave that for someone elseto suggest having quit FMC membership in protest over their Remarkables NP campaign.
Thanks for the suggestions. Another more specific question: Is there a standard formula for temperature drop per x metres of altitude gained? Can one also be found to arrive at wind speed if you have a starting value for a particular altitude? Grasping at straws here; whatever helps, even if it's just a rough guide...
I've always used as a guideline, five degrees difference for every 1000m.
5 degrees per 1000m is for wet (saturated) air. It's more like 10 degrees per 1000m for dry air - so thats a more accurate approximation east of the alps. Google "lapse rate" for the science.
Erick Brenstrum put out a weather book that I studied intently and found very helpful. It's called the NZ weather book and could be found at your local library. Not sure if it's still available in the shops. Erick has a blog too. It helps to study the weather maps and forecasts and then observe what's happening in the field. The wet adiabatic lapse rate is approx 6 degrees per 1000m and the dry adiabatic lapse rate is approx 10 degrees per 1000m or 1 degree per 100m change in altitude.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by graffias
On 28 August 2020
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown