Tongariro crossing in winter

1–10 of 11

I've just been on Mt Tongariro, was coming down to mangatepopo rd end i passed several groups going up and had a chat about where they were going, almost all of them wanted to get to emerald lakes, that requires climbing over Red Crater which is covered in thick ice at present, ice axe and crampons essential for safe travel. you must have experience using them and with self arresting. apart from two guided groups, only one couple had ice axe and crampons. people have obviously seen emerald lakes, its viral on the internet.... but a lot arent doing their homework about whats required to get there. the DOC visitor center would have informed them if they'd have asked.
How many times have you done the crossing @waynoski?
i've been over tongariro on various trips around eleven times.
Nice stuff!!!!
I'm in Ohakune now thinking of doing the crossing. I don't have any Alpine experience though. Are you around the area for a chat and some advice?
its very dangerous in winter, you need to go with a guided company like adrift who will provide the correct gear, ice axe, crampons, and show you how to use it and provide a guide. otherwise DO NOT GO... https://www.adriftnz.co.nz/
Thumbs up
"I don't have any Alpine experience though." First have a look at the weather forecast. Its basically blizzard plus for the next couple of days. If you can stand up you wont be able to see your feet let alone where you are going. You will have the place to yourself but there will be no cavlery if (no when) things go pear shaped. A beacon will only tell them where to collect the body when the weather clears enough for them to fly. If you have never walked on ice and snow a 12 to 14 hour trek through it starting and finishing in darkness isnt the best way to lean
i wonder how many people die because they go to places they've seen on instagram or facebook and just decide to go there, without realising the dangers involved
WIA usually outweighs KIA.
Im hoping to do the crossing with a guide after walking from Ohakune to Whakpepe. I talked with the patrol team in Turoa and they said the next few days are good for Ohakune to Whakpepe on the round the mountain track. Unfortunately with Adrift you have to have 3 people minimum. I couldn't find anyone and doesn't look like they did, so I might have to pass on that. Not planning on dying soon. @aardvark what's wia and Kia? @waynowski I tried sending you a PM for contact
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by waynowski
On 3 August 2020
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown