Two sets of poly pros or one?

1–10 of 13

Im trying to decide if I should take two sets of poly pros and fleece jersies, one for tramping and one dry set for use in the hut. From looking at gear lists i see alot people only take one set of thermals and just one fleece jersy. My main concern about just taking one pair is that you wont have a dry set if it gets wet. What do you guys take in regards to thermals and a fleece jersy? Do you have a wet and dry set or just take one?
correct. definitely two sets of thermals.. i take a puffy jacket for use at huts one set of thermals only works if you can dry it out quickly, overseas it tends to be more common to do so, some places in the states the humidity is vrey low most of the time and synthetic clothing dries quickly. in NZ its usually humid and it doesnt dry easily
Even on dry day trips I always take a full change of clothes
Thumbs up
Always a good habit to have minimum list of gear that you never compromise on. Full change of clothes, First aid kit, Emergency shelter, Extra food, etc etc Aside from the hypothermic aspect of being able change from wet clothes to dry, it does wonders for your mental state if you can get dry, warm and have a meal then you can think clearly about the next stage of your trip.
my dilema is 2 vs 3 changes of dry thermals in winter. 1 for hut, 1 for walking and maybe 1 for a change if you get cold/wet but need to keep moving - normally just the base layer(s). Without the 3rd your options are limited to 'stop, camp & warm up' in that scenario. So certainly advise against 1.
I usually have 2 sets of thermals, one light top, one heavier fleece top and a waterproof shell. They can be layered up depending on how cold it gets. I need to look at those puffy jackets Anyone know if the non-down ones are any good now? (the older generation ones weren't that good).
@pseudo. That sounds like 1 set to me. An inner & an outer layer. I.e. nothing to change into when they get wet. Or did I misinterpret?
synthetic puffy jackets arent as warm... and loose their loft a lot quicker than down jackets..
One set of thermals + a top usually sit in my pack. I also have a couple sports t-shirts that are quite warm. The only time I've wore thermals + light top + fleece + shell while walking was on the tops/snow/wind/cold. I get more affected overheating than being cold.
synthetic puffy jackets arent as warm… and loose their loft a lot quicker than down jackets. Older ones and cheaper ones that is quite true but the new synthetics are getting very good. They can cost as much as down though. I dont get much chance to wear mine though as Im still in jandles
1–10 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by isawatreeonce
On 13 June 2020
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown