Topomap Wallpaper

1–10 of 11

Hey everyone, just curious if anyone has approached a wallpaper company to custom make topomap wall paper? Or just used paper maps on the wall with wallpaper glue? Then have any tips to make a little more durable? I've been given a wall in the house to decorate and can't think of anything better than standing around staring at maps! I'm thinking of just having it stretch across the centre of NZ, including Lewis Pass to as far west as I can fit. Only as far south as Craigieburn... Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Yes. Got a 4.5 x 6m wall of topo50 downscaled to 1:63360 on my wall at home. And a photo on another wall. Resene (who use HP wallprint system) did the photo and its an excellent quality print on good quality paper. But the HP online system couldn't cope with something that is over 2GB _when saved uncompressed as a bmp/tiff_. So even though the jpeg or lzw tiff file was smaller their system couldn't handle it. I ended up using a uk company contrado who have nz point of sales but supply out of the uk. Print quality was good enough on the maps but colour matching between rolls was not good enough on solid colour like sea. And they missed 5mm or so off the edge of some rolls. Looks fine standing back but you can see the mismatch close up. Be worth looking for an alternative supplier. But if you go for contrado get premium or textured paper. A lot of stretch in the standard if you're doing big drops. Also prone to marking - not as rugged / well sealed as standard vinyl wallpaper.
Thumbs up
I was looking at doing this too although I’d only gotten as far as using unfolded topomaps. Is there a benefit to printing your own? Fewer joins? I wondered about a product like Resene SpaceCoat Clear over the top.
Thanks Madpom, some great ideas. I was actually expecting a bit more discussion about this! Like most of you, I can spend hours gazing/ day dreaming in front of a map board! As Matthew suggested, has anyone glued paper maps and covered with a clear coat? Thanks
I would love to do this to a man cave one day
I'm planning to make a coffee table with a glass top and just the right size to slip a topo map into (and easily switch out for another). What better thing to look at over a cuppa? :D
Grinning
Map World in Christchurch can make custom posters of pretty much any size you want, using any topos you want.
Hey Kreig, a while ago mapworld charged me $90 to tape sections of three maps together and laminate (plus the maps!). Then they quoted $180 to tape sections of four maps and laminate! I asked about the doubled price and she said "four maps are much more complicated than three". I taped the four myself and laminated in Rangiora for $20. Exact same quality. I'll give them a miss for the foreseeable future! I'm gonna stick a 3mm sheet of MDF on the wall then wallpaper maps on top. Finish with a clear coat. Sweet
With the tabletop idea I have seen several youtube videos on epoxy topped tables. Often they start with a piece of hollow log or a simple aluminium frame then use multicolured epoxies and fancy lights etc. I just thought clear epoxy and a couple of your most worn rat nibbled maps would certainly make a table worth talking about. Add mood lights around the side if you wish
@AntonyLowe yikes!!! I apologise; I had no idea that's what they charged! I won't be mentioning them for that service ever again.
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by AntonyLowe
On 8 June 2020
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown