DOC closing some facilities due to COVID 19

For the safety of visitors, volunteers and staff, DOC is temporarily closing its visitor centres to the public from today, and from tomorrow will be cancelling all hut and campsite bookings. Non-bookable campsites and remote backcountry huts will be closed if New Zealand reaches Alert Level 3. https://www.doc.govt.nz/news/media-releases/2020-media-releases/doc-to-cancel-bookings-and-temporarily-close-visitor-centres
41 comments
21–30 of 41

I spent a week on Stewart Island at the start of the month (come out on the 14th I think from memory) and did wonder what I was going to come back to. IF the trip had been a week later it would have been really sureal! As @izogi says, this should be about giving people as little leeway as possible to go out and potentially contact others. It did seem at first that many people were viewing this as a bonus month off from work and a chance to go out and fish, dive, hunt, tramp, do whatever else they are into. I feel the government has rightly come down hard to try and eliminate that attitude. It is (hopefully) only a month after all.
>It did seem at first that many people were viewing this as a bonus month off from work and a chance to go out and fish, dive, hunt, tramp, do whatever else they are into. I feel the government has rightly come down hard to try and eliminate that attitude. It is (hopefully) only a month after all. I must admit that I did have that attitude to begin with but I've quickly changed it once coming to terms with how serious this is. Coming down hard on it is definitely the right move, certainly helped to change my mind. It's almost the "these rules don't apply to me" special case scenario.
Thumbs up
its also about reducing having emergency services and SAR having to go out for people who have gone tramping , and reducing car usage also reduces crashes, it clears the decks for the emergency services to deal with a potentially massive no of people who could saturate the health services helicopters are shuttling sick people around europe to load balance the sick, some countries people are collapsing in the street.. you go driving to go tramping you're going to have to get more fuel at some stage and get something to eat or drink if you go far enough, it drives up the human interactions one way or another. the less demand on services, the less people have to go to work the less they interact with other people the lower the infection rate. the whole situation is a snowball you're trying to slow down as much as possible and it all adds up... people arent used to these sorts of restrictions they've never had to think through a scenario like this before, what we do from now on determines how many people will get infected and how many will die from covid.. whats happening in europe in places like italy and spain is staggering an ice rink has been turned into a morgue in spain.... 700 dying a day in italy and spain is heading the same way. america is hot on its heels too. no event would have had a death rate like this since the 2nd world war, and thats so far in the past i dont know a lot of people understand what these events are like, where so many people you know , die ahead of their time,, frquently and continuously....
How many people are going to emerge from the bush after a 7-10 day trip to empty roads and checkpoints? Reminds me of the plot of a certain book series. Hopefully they dont intend to hitchhike
Grinning
Or the movie ""28 Days"". Guy wakes up in deserted hospital to what has started without him. Neighbour picked up a German hitch-hiker weeks ago, who came off-trail to find the World was shutting down. With some assistance, he got a flight home. Neighbour's fine by the way.
I wonder what the exit strategy is? The lockdown wont end untill there are 14 days after the last case. However mild infections are not getting reported or tested and if an infection takes longer to get round a family then at the end of those 14 days some people will still be infectious. Add to that the fact that recovery takes at least a month so mild cases could still be infectious and unknown at that time. Throwing open the gates will just put us back at square one except it will be winter then so the next lockdown will be so much worse. Only way this can be achieved is a staged release with all people tested before they can leave home. Otherwise things will be complicated. Also the borders are still going to be an issue. We need to get tourists back but at the same time until this is fully under control worldwide the 14 day quarantine has to still apply. Thats not going to work but maybe quarantine can be done before departure.
Testing isn't reliable, because there are occasional false negatives. (People infected can still return a negative test.) My guess is we'll go back to level 3 or level 2 for a while and see what happens, then possibly return to level 4 if the situation warrants. After that, who knows?
"My guess is we'll go back to level 3 or level 2 for a while and see what happens, then possibly return to level 4 if the situation warrants. After that, who knows?" Welcome to the new normal.
a lot of countries won't have the resources to control the virus well. border controls will be in place here a long time... ideally we get it under control in nz asap., but overseas will take a lot longer.
Covid-19 coronavirus: Tourists emerge from bush, find world changed https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12320228
21–30 of 41

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by waynowski
On 22 March 2020
Replies 40
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown