Tents on the Dusky - viable option?

This thread branched from "International Travel to NZ" on . Explore the branch.

Question for anyone with any experience if the dusky. Is there flat/dry ground at all/any of the huts sufficient for a tent if huts are busy? Thinking of a trip using part of the Dusky at Easter (wx permitting) which I guess will be very popular.
Did it end of November last year. Generally I think the ground/grass was very soft/soft, but don't quite remember so some of this might be wrong. Huts do have plenty of floor space though, if that's your kind of thing. Hauroko Burn hut - big flat, mushy? (boardwalked from lake to hut) Halfway hut - flat, very mushy. Lake Roe - mushy. Think there are some flat rocky/stony patches big enough on the route heading west. Loch Maree hut - flat, dry enough. (Best out of these huts to tent). space for >3 tents? There is the shelter on the other side of the river (3 walls). Kintail hut - not a lot of room (maybe a Minaret), mix of Stoney/grass right out the front. not quite flat but could work. Upper Spey hut - mushy track to the south was board-walked. West arm - heaps of space. (could also biv inside the visitor center iirc) I might have a few photos if you want
1 deleted post from madpom
Thanks for that. Matches what i'd expect for the area - finding viable campspots always a challenge.
Maybe a hammock would be the go? Have to say I could always find a place to put up a tent in in Fiordland although there was only one site that was actually dead level (End Peak on the Princess Range).

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by madpom
On 16 March 2020
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown