Smaller pack

1–10 of 11

While I'm getting my old pack revived, I'm thinking of getting a smaller/agile pack for mostly daytrips (with family) and occasional overnighters. After a bit of reading, I think around 35 litres seems to be my sweet spot (I got an old 44 litre pack but it's got a bulky harness /side balloon pockets and generally overkill for most daywalks). Since it will be used mainly for daytrips, it needs to have decent gear access. Anyone got some suggestions?
There are lots of good 35 litre packs available. Most important thing is it fits right even when you are carrying only a day pack load. Try a few and see what you like. Some people will tell you 35 is still too big but even if you can get away with it summer and winter you still have spring and autumn where you start the day in winter gear and finish with most of it in the pack. Im using a 40 for day trips
I have used a Deuter Spectro ac 36 for several years now and find it great. However, not sure if it has been discontinued or just not imported to NZ anymore as I have not been able to replace my one. It is quite a narrow fit so comfort would depend on your build.
My Roman 40 is quite narrow as well but Im not narrow but it is still comfortable. I know some people use a pack that size for weekenders.
Who makes Roman, havent heard of them? Based on my 44lt (too big for day trips) and some school backpacks, we have around the house (about 20lt) , I think 30-35lt would fit me right.
Roman isnt a common brand. Equipoutdoors and completeoutdoors sell them. They were a major brand for FCO when they existed. Quite lightweight and has survived a fair bit of use. Rebel sport carry their sleeping bags as well.
Packs pick you more than you pick the pack, like shoes it comes down to feel, you gotta get into some shops and try some on with some weight in them.
>Packs pick you more than you pick the pack Like Harry Potter!
Grinning
How long is a piece of string? At Macpac some options would be the Fjord 28 and 40 packs or the Torlesse 35, Kathmandu have one or two packs in that 35L size, Osprey at Bivouac have the Talon 33 and Stratos 34. As others have noted above, that a pack is comfortable to carry/wear all day is probably the most important thing. I use a 40L ultralight pack for pretty much every daytrip through to 3 day weekends when tramping on tracks (the pack is not suited for rough/off track trips).
After checking out a few different options at Bivouac,Torpedo 7 and Macpac, I settled on the Talon. It's very light and comfortable to wear. We went to the Hunuas yesterday and I loaded up a little more than I would for a daytrip (including jamming 4 drink bottles in the stretchy side pockets ... got to get a hydration bladder). I still got sweaty on my back and under the shoulder straps, but didn't feel excessive/overheating. The only detractor is the single drawstring pocket, which gives you a little extra room but it doesn't seem particularly waterproof and a bit of a pain when you want to dig out stuff.
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by pseudo
On 3 March 2020
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown