Personal Locator Beacons

I'm considering purchasing a PLB just so I never have to think about it again and was wondering what people recommend? I don't know anything about them or their other functions (if any), the purpose of this would be to contact emergency services if I was badly hurt or unable to travel in the backcountry. Cheers.
38 comments
21–30 of 38

I can't recall how my current ACR plb came, but I'd have thought the optimal way to sell them would be with some kind of tab to pull out to activate the battery. I take it they don't do this?
My KTI is a sealed unit. From memory they have to meet certain waterproofness (is that a word? You know what I mean), so a pull tab like in a kids toy would cause issues.
Thumbs up
Battery expiry is on the sticker sealing the box. 10 years & 4 months from now. Unit test date on the release certificate was 6 weeks ago. I'll replace on 'due by' date. Even if the 'Test' function is still good for another 10 years, it's not something I want to gamble with. $349 delivered to my front door. :) https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1279592778.jpg
Thumbs up
Just saw questions on this thread -Map locations not showing; was erratic. sometimes showed map location, sometimes not. was told it is issue with InReach Mini. sort help with Garmin, may have been issue of not getting Mini updated on line. Seems to be ok now, although haven't used it over last couple months -Weather forcasts - I rely on family texting me the Met Mountain forecast, or the MetVUW one InReach forcast looks a bit basic. long time since I used it. didn't show wind direct, force. Or amount of rainfall etc. was just basic sunny, cloudy or not, as I recall My PLB is 14year old, must need battery replaced. may try a lighter one, (RecueMe or similar) I carry PLB on all trips, am mainly in the Tararuas or Ruahine. Annually on west coast. Can ass up anywhere, I have found :)
Please replace your PLB TararuaHunter!!!!!!
inreach uses iridium satellites, they arent geostationary... in some situations under tree canopy or a deep valley or gorge there may be a temporary drop out of satellite connection until the next satellite gets into a better overhead position there have been connectivity issues between an inreach and phone through bluetooth
@Scottie "Please replace your PLB TararuaHunter!!!!!!" I think I should. soon :)
Thumbs up
do you have a battery test function on your PLB? if so have you tested it recently? in theory if it has a battery test function and it passes then it should still work.. but it wont transmit for the guaranteed duration which is usually around 24 hours the older it is the less time it will transmit for, and once over the warranty period will eventually fail to transmit at all
question is there any disadvantage in buying a PLB (Rescueme) from Australia and being registered with AMSA versus maritimeNZ? The device is AU coded, "for NZ and worldwide activation" There going for $NZ355.oo cheers
You should be able to register an overseas purchased plb in NZ. There is no restriction on registering. If a beacon is registered overseas the first SAR to be notified is the one where it is registered who then have to pass it on. This can cause delays but it also means any beacon will work anywhere even if it is activated somewhere it is not registered (but might add time to the rescue)
Thumbs up
21–30 of 38

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by jmeyer
On 31 January 2020
Replies 37
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown