Personal Locator Beacons

I'm considering purchasing a PLB just so I never have to think about it again and was wondering what people recommend? I don't know anything about them or their other functions (if any), the purpose of this would be to contact emergency services if I was badly hurt or unable to travel in the backcountry. Cheers.
38 comments
11–20 of 38

I carry a KTI PLB AND an inreach + I got my PLB first. With the 10 year battery at ~$300ish, $30 per year is great piece of mind. I got the inreach+ for the GPS and messaging (the maps aren't that great tbh, but enough to work out where you are when required). The SOS function wasn't a big consideration for me. More messaging wife at home that all is OK. I'm not sure if the inreach will still do an SOS if the battery is flat (I've run the battery flat by accident by leaving on over night etc). If for some reason had to choose one of them, I'll take the PLB.

This thread branched to "Experience using two way sat communicators" on . Explore the branch (8 messages).

I'm with you on that last sentence, scottie. Just for absolute clarification for the OP, we've been discussing 2 types of device; 1. PLB - designed for 1 function - on your activation, alert SaR and provide location co-ords (for use in a life-threatening situation). All PLBs are regulated and use the same system and all meet minimum gov-specified performance re battery life, signal strength, ruggedness etc. 2. Two-way messaging devices - these are not regulated; function and capability vary from model to model, brand to brand, using different satelite systems and different frequencies. IMO, a PLB is a necessary bit of kit for any vaguely remote tramping. The others are nice to have - in addition to the PLB. With a PLB, look for battery life, weight, cost. My ACR RescueLink is approaching end of life - I'll probably replace it with a KTI.
I have a KTI It looks nice and is light to carry. Havnt tried it in anger yet though
After years of not having a PLB I begrudgingly bought a KTI about 5 years ago. Never thought I would use it,however, March 2019 on a solo tramp in central Ruahine Range I had a fall into the Waipawa river and injured my hip. Unable to walk with a pack on my back, I made the call to activate the KTI. One hour later, the rescue helicopter hovered directly above my Locator Beacon. I am truly grateful for having the KTI in my kit and it showed the real value of this product brand.
Thumbs up
1 deleted post from dutchman
Thanks for the clarification, I'm talking about a PLB in case something bad happens or a freak storm, life threatening situation.
register your beacon with the authorities,, they will try and ring the contact n's first if the beacon turns on to make sure its not a false alarm and gather more information https://beacons.org.nz/Registration.aspx @madpom inreach uses darksky for weather forecasting https://darksky.net i havent used it enough to comment on the accuracy inreach neds a paid subscription to work
Thumbs up
"KTI PLB PERSONAL EMERGENCY LOCATOR BEACON SA2G-NZ 406MHZ" still retailing from around $345. Different deals that include or charge extra for postage, discounted battery replacement. I see it has a 20-year battery shelf-life, but a 10-year warranty. There IS a 'Test' button. Not a piece of gear you'd want to fail when it was needed. "" Unique 10-year battery replacement interval. 20-year battery shelf life, 10-year warranty. Free conditional battery replacement if used in a genuine emergency and you provide a rescue story with a 10 year New Zealand Based Warranty"" https://www.safetybeacons.co.nz/kti-safety-alert-sa2g-406mhz-plb-personal-locator-beacon.html#:~:text=20%2Dyear%20battery%20shelf%20life,minutes%20for%20optimal%20outdoor%20safety%20.
What does a 20 year battery shelf life even mean in the context of a PLB? Are they saying the battery should last for 20 years if you remove it from the device (huh?), but if it's in the device then the 10 year replacement interval means you should replace it after 10 years? Now I'm confused about what KTI's saying.
Came as a surprise to me too. Looking to buy and asked "When does the 10-year warranty start from ?". Warranty starts from the date you purchase, but the shelf life is longer than the warranty period. That makes sense. Same thing with car batteries. Not much good having a 10-yeqr warranty if it countsdown only 10 years from the moment of manufacture. They know the shelf-life. So long as the warranty is within that time-frame it's a saleable product.
Thumbs up
some beacons at least have a battery test function on them to find out how much charge there is..
11–20 of 38

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by jmeyer
On 31 January 2020
Replies 37
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown