Three Passes, Arthurs Pass

Hi all, I am planning on doing the 3 Passes trail in Feb/Mar next year. But rather than going right through I am looking at carrying on down Arahura river from Harman Hut to Newton Creek, then over to Dunns Hut & down to the Taipo River & back to Carrington. Wondering if anyone has experience of the Route from Harman hut to Newton hut, then to Dunns & down to Mid Taipo. Rough times & track conditions would be great to give me a time frame. Thanks in advance for any info…
Check the remote huts website, it has the information you need.
Thumbs up
I've done that a couple of times. Yes Remote Huts Westland is probably the best current source of up to date info on the Coast part of the route.
Thumbs up
I have done the section from Newton Hut to Mid-Taipo in April, however in the reverse order. I think Dunns Ck to Newton took me around 6 hours from memory, and it was 3-4 hours over the hill from Mid-Taipo to Dunns Ck. It was so steep and slippery coming up from Mid-Taipo over the hill (up a mossy riverbed) that I would recommend not coming over the hill that way and going down the creek till you get to the track by the Taipo.
Thanks M400-1 for the input, makes me feel I may need to re-evaluate my estimated timing of 5.5 to 7 hrs to get from Newton Hut to Mid Taipo. I think the way you tackled it, would be quite a bit more difficult than my planned route though? Would you agree or am I kidding myself. Maps give you an idea of the country but nothing beats boots on the ground.
I don't know about quite a bit, but maybe a little more difficult. I was glad to rest at Dunn's Ck on the way through as I had come from Julia Hut (not too much further and with hot spring), but for my level of fitness doing Mid-Taipo to Newton in a day would have been too much.
Thumbs up

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by muzza1963
On 10 August 2019
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown