One man plus one dog tent

Hi guys, Looking for recommendations for a tent for me and my dog - 3 season use in the SI. I have an Exped Gemini III which has been pretty good for two humans and a dog, I now want something smaller for just me and the dog. Dog is a ~28kg staffy/cattle dog x and she will be sleeping next to me on her own little mat. Options on the list so far are Macpac Microlight and Minaret. Would be keen to hear of any other suggestions based on first hand experience. Cheers
16 comments
11–16 of 16

Thinking they fazed out macrolight
@Sean64 We had a staffy-cattle dog cross ourselves for 19 years. She was so wonderful we've never quite had the courage to try and replace her. It's a fantastic cross, the working dog's willingness to listen and obey, with the staffy's big heart and sociability. She would run all day and if not running she'd be in the water in a flash. The only downside was that while she wasn't ugly, she wasn't classically pretty either. Plus she was an absolute sucker for seagulls doing the 'fly 5m away, flop in the water with a broken wing, then repeat' until one day she was well out of sight and I thought I'd lost her. It was a very sorry dog that eventually wobbled back to shore, and boy was she broken the next day. As for the tent, I've used a Vango Xenon for some years now and I'm delighted with it.
@PhilipW My girl is a great companion too. A little on the grumpy side sometimes, some would say that's like the owner ... Almost lost her too once, when she ran out into the breakers on a steeply shelving beach. Will check out the tent you recommended. Cheers
'My girl is a great companion too. A little on the grumpy side sometimes, some would say that's like the owner … Almost lost her too once, when she ran out into the breakers on a steeply shelving beach'. That's just like my girl but she wouldn't like it if i called her a dog.
I ended up buying a near-new Macpac Microlight. Looking forward to trying it out.
Finally tried out my MSR NX lightweight 1-man tent above the snowline last month. Been putting off deliberately using it on the tops as there's a _lot_ of mesh in the inner and it looked like a good way of being bloody cold. However - happy to report it was toasty inside despite a good crust of ice to bash off the outside in the morning. That was just in the lee of a small shrub on an exposed ridgeline 500m above the snowline in a 10km/h easterly. With 3.5 season marmot sawtooth sleeping bag + neo-air mat. Opening the tent door felt like a slap in the face, but inside was comfortable head outside the bag all night, no beanie and even the polyprops came off in the night as I was too hot.
11–16 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Sean64
On 14 July 2019
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown