Thermals that don't pill (as much)

1–10 of 11

Pulling out my thermals for winter, they are looking sad and need to shop for some more. I'm trying to find some that doesn't pill as much. I did have a pair of thermal pants a few years, that pilled a lot less than the others, but has disappeared and I cant remember the brand. They weren't as warm, but they were really comfy. Anyone know what they might have been (polyester?) I can't wear knitted wool against my skin (especially on my torso and neck) ... doesn't matter how fine the Merino is, it's either itchy or pins/chilly feeling from them. I had a few Icebreakers (and another Aussie brand) and ended up giving them away.
I had some Kathmandu leggings that didn't pill (but did ladder when dragged through dead manuka). They were a smoother, silkier finish than polypro. Looking at their website they have ones now that are a polyester/elastine mix. Not sure if they're the same ones though as it was a few years back.
If your in Chch try the Weft Industries factory shop. Good quality new and seconds polypropylene tops and leggings. Their merino leggings are thicker and more durable and comfortable than Icebreaker dollar for dollar. I've always been disappointed with Icebreaker. Their marketing is very good but the reality doesn't match up unfortunately.
" can't wear knitted wool against my skin (especially on my torso and neck) … doesn't matter how fine the Merino is, it's either itchy or pins/chilly feeling from them. I had a few Icebreakers (and another Aussie brand) and ended up giving them away." Same and I have ended up giving them away too. To me Icebreaker feels damp and heavy. I guess I'm a polarfleece girl. Polartech is a good fabric. I have heaps of Kathmundu stuff made from that and also the Earth, Sea, Sky leggings. Polypropylene is affected by water warmer than 60 degrees.
I have a set of Kathmandu thermaplus, polartec power dry. They are about 6 years old and have stood the test of time. They are super warm and quick to dry. They have only started to pill last couple years. (I suspect my partner threw them in with a load of towels though denial is all I get!) I don't know if you can still get them. I could never find a pair without looking like a billboard for Kathmandu as their slogan is sloshed across both top and bottom, but their performance outweighed that detail.
You may as well just go with the inevitable. I was on an expedition one time and the guide didn't like Jan Cameron so didn't like the brand either. One day she asked if anyone had a spare bag and I said I've got one but you wouldn't like it as it has Kathmundu Half-Price Sale on it. Jan was very kind to me and gave me a pair of gortex overtrousers when our house was burnt down.
Thumbs up
Earth Sea Sky (last NZ-owned-and-made gear?) has base layers made of something that's not polypropylene. I can't recall mine pilling, but I'm unsure. https://www.earthseasky.co.nz
I cannot stand pilling and from what I've read pilling is 'usually' from two blends of different materials, and one blend starts to break down quicker than the other, so I'm guessing something that was a merino/polyester blend would pill where pure merino or polyester might not? A good trick with pilling is to lay the garment out and take a standard plastic shaving razor and 'shave' off the pills, collect them with some packaging or duct tape, pain in the ass but it works.
Hmm, I'm not sure about that theory, I am currently wearing a 100% merino longsleeve that has some pilling. I second that razor method.
Good to know, I was just repeating something I read online about pilling. I think abrasion has a lot to do with it as well.
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by pseudo
On 17 June 2019
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown