Hunting & Fishing pulls 'military-style' semi-auto

:warning: [Deleted]
47 comments
21–30 of 47

Moderation notice

This thread has been reviewed and accepted given the topic is of public interest. Gun imagery is not accepted.

Yeah it was quick. I won't bother to paste the full text. It's unconstructive and not worth reading.
Government has (moved to) bann(ed) Military-Style Semi-Automatics PLUS those semi-autos that can be modified to hold more than a 5-round magazine. ""As of 3pm 21 March 2019 changes have been made by an Order in Council to ensure the immediate safety and peace of mind of New Zealand communities. The Order in Council [Arms (Military Style Semi-automatic Firearms) Order 2019 (link is external)] will bring two additional groups of semi-automatic firearms within the definition of a Military Style Semi-automatic (MSSA) firearm: - a semi-automatic firearm that is capable of being used in combination with a detachable magazine (other than one designed to hold 0.22-inch or less rimfire cartridges) that is capable of holding more than 5 cartridges; and - a semi-automatic firearm that is a shotgun and is capable of being used in combination with a detachable magazine that is capable of holding more than 5 cartridges. https://www.police.govt.nz/advice/firearms-and-safety/changes-firearms Govt signalled a buy-back for legitimate owners & an hand-over amnesty for illegal owners. Only ones owning such now will be the Crims and Class E licencees. Edit - Govt has not 'banned' MSSA (yet), but re-classifoed some semi-automatics into the Class E category. """This will mean that no-one will be able to buy these weapons without a permit to procure from the police. I can assure people that there is no point in applying for such a permit."" Further law amendment is indicated. https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-shooting/111455050/new-gun-laws-announced-by-pm-after-christchurch-mosque-shootings
A similar situation exists with pistols. Before the last major changes with the rules pistol owners had to be members of a pistol club, They had to store their gun at the police station and were only allowed to take it out to events. Nowdays they can keep it at home in a police vetted safe and take to events in a locked box (firing pin in separate locked box) bolted to the inside of the car. Also E class license. I cant see why if a legitimate reason to possess one of these semi autos exists that a similar regime couldnt be used. ie very secure storage including during transport. Only allowed out for specific use with very stern penalties for transgression. One point that the NRA came up with was helicopter hunting of deer etc. That and club range shooting would probably be the only legit uses for these guns.
Semi autos in this country are traditionally small calibre and used for pest control for farmers. Used on rabbits and the like. Using them on deer as far as I know would be stupid and potentially ruin the meat and put the animal through needless suffering. A high powered bolt action is the traditional tool from foot or air. I'm a gun owner but having access to multiple firearms just because you like to shoot them at the range is something I find very strange and should not be an excuse to sell them. A single bolt action and maybe a shotgun is all any one who enjoys hunting needs imo. I'm shocked to learn my gun and ammo is not registered to me. I thought it was. It was logged in a book when I bought it. I see no point to semi autos of any kind.
There used to be a gun registry but it was paper based and as good as useless if they had a gun they wanted to track back to an owner. The only way was to guess the owner and look to see if it was right. That was before decent computer databases. They abandoned the idea a long time ago. Now it would be easy to recreate that database but it would rely on existing owners providing the gun info accurately enough to make it worthwhile. I dont hunt and dont own guns or a license. I would see range shooting in the same way as golf driving ranges and going to the gym for the sole purpose of going to the gym. However some people enjoy range competitions etc. Its even an Olympic sport.
I dont think Hunting & Fishing was a big retailer of the military type firearms. As for usefulness in real hunting situations, the accuracy of the modern tactical (military) firearms is equal to most conventional bolt action type. Theyre also quite lightweight. I wouldn't use one for sport, only one shot should be needed anyway. Same as I wouldn't wear camouflage clothing . Even if it would improve hunting success. But I have done plenty when doing pest control as a job. Some hunters hunt goats, wallabies that can be in large numbers. with semi autos. which is a good thing Theyre also used in range shooting. which is a legitimate sport.
I've certainly met professional goat cullers who use E-cat semi auto rifles. But a) they are already classified as e-cat and the users already hold the appropriate license so unless I'm misunderstanding this use will not be affected? b) even if e-cats were being completely banned (they're not, are they?) then losing this very minority application could well be worthwhile for the overall safety benefit if we succeeded in removing such firearms from the country (which banning them may or may not achieve) Whilst it's being marketed as a ban on semi autos the details seem to be not a ban but reclassifying all semi-autos (other than .22) as e-cat meaning additional licensing, checks & storage requirements apply. Correct?
It won't be definitive until the legislation is written. However, the statements made thus far sound like a ban, with some consideration of special cases. A reasonable summary, I think, is on the Guardian's website : http://tinyurl.com/y2u7442x
The link backs up what our local paper said. Some additional firearms (semi-autos with magazines of 5 or less) are going to be reclassified from a-category to e-category (semi autos with magazines over 5 are already e-category) So the reclassified firearms, and existing e-category firearms can continue to be used by those holding an e-category license. Which is not a ban - but does stop the vast majority of firearms license holders and retailers from owning/selling them.
About 2/3 of the way down this link. https://www.police.govt.nz/advice/firearms-and-safety/changes-firearms "The Government has signalled there will be further changes made over the coming weeks to ban all military style semi-automatics and assault rifles permanently. As Police continues to develop processes we will continue to update information on this web page." So, while currently, it is a reclassification it would seem the end goal is a ban.
21–30 of 47

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by waynowski
On 18 March 2019
Replies 46
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown