Christchurch tramps in mid-April, 3-5 days

Hi there, I will be down in Chch in mid-April and would like to get an adventure in. Can anyone recommend something 3-5 days long near the Chch area? I have tramped around the north and central parts of the Nth island mostly, so pretty keen to get some typically South Island views into my eyeballs, and something a bit challenging too. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.
St James Walkway is on my list, looks like a pretty good trip from what I can tell.
Both Arthur's and Lewis Passes provide abundant opportunities for adventure. St. James Walkway is a favourite of mine. It's easy walking with wonderful scenery. A more challenging area around Lewis Pass is west of the Lewis River. You can link up the Nina, Doubtful, and Hope Rivers by hopping over Devilskin Saddle to get from Nina to Doubtful, then carry on over Lake Man to get into the Hope valley. From there you can walk out to Windy Point and hitch up the road to your car or carry on walking the Tui Track to get to Boyle Village, still requiring a bit to get back up to the Nina entrance. https://www.doc.govt.nz/globalassets/documents/parks-and-recreation/places-to-visit/canterbury/waimakariri/lake-sumner-lewis-pass.pdf Arthur's Pass has plenty to offer, too. The Edwards-Hawdon circuit can be walked in 3 days (or 2 if you're keen), with a bit of a come-to-jeebus moment scaling Tarn Col. You can add a night or two by heading up East Hawdon or Sudden Valley, each with wee DOC 2-person bivvys.
Its not a loop trip - but its spectacular - and my fave part of NZ - go to Carrington hut from Arthurs Pass, do a return trip to barker hut - get back to Carrington, then do a return trip to & from Waimakariri falls hut. Depends on your experience & skill level of course. Some parts up to Barker can be a rocky scramble. But man, its utterley amazing.....
Dont forget mid April is Easter time and also school holidays so there will be more people around,at the huts etc. I'd second si-dogs advice.2 hours from Christchurch you're at Klondyke Corner and off you go up the Waimak.Base at Carrington Hut and overnighters to Barker and Waimak Falls.Even maybe Crow Valley on your way out. The scenery is superb,all high country mountains and rivers. APNP is the place to go and only a couple of hours drive from Chch. Keep and eye out on the river levels though.
Thumbs up
Thanks all, will head to Carrington on Friday, if weather looks okay I'll try for the three passes route, but otherwise will try those overnighters mentioned. Thanks
Hey all, thanks again for your help. I ended up going to Carrington from Klondyke. Next day over Harman in terrible weather to Julia Hut, stayed an extra day there with the hotspring and some kind folks. Headed down to Mid-Taipo then over the hill to Dunn's creek hut after that, and then over Newton Saddle in beautiful weather to Newton's creek hut. Last day from there out to the road was the only day that was a bit much, especially without prearranged pickup, having to traipse around finding someone's phone to use (avoid Cowboy Paradise if you can!) Exactly what I was after in a tramp, beautiful views and challenging routes. Cheers!
Thumbs up
Sounds like a great trip. How were the track conditions after all the rain they've had on the west coast, particularly from Dunn's Ck over Newton Saddle to the Arahura? cheers, Honora
Dunn's Ck over Newton Saddle was fine, no probs. Along the Arahura involved frequent dropping into the riverbed and clambering back out again. Lots of slips and track washouts. DOC have done a reasonable job of marking where to go, however. Same applies to the section from Julia Huts to Mid-Taipo (but slightly less so), other than that you could see something big had come through, but not too much damage.
Thumbs up
Nice one - sounds like a great trip. Carrington hut is nice and big - its a great place for many people to turn up and then go their own ways from there. ha ha - I've tried to do the 3 passes twice - Harman Pass has always been covered in shite weather both times I tried to do it......
Thumbs up

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by M400-1
On 13 March 2019
Replies 9
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown