Hip Length Raincoats

My old raincoat has seen its best days and I am also in the market for a new pair of tramping shorts. Taking a look at T7, Kathmandu, Macpac et al, the vast majority of raincoat offerings appear to be hip length as opposed to thigh length. My strategy has been thigh length with hiking shorts about the size of rugby shorts, thus avoiding waterproof over-trousers (which I find a total pain). I can't see this working with the current crop of raincoats as well as the "walk short" type shorts advertised. I read a very good NZ Tramper forum topic from 2015, where the Oringi Milford and Macpac Copland/Resolution sounded like they would be the solution here, but two out of the three are out of stock and all are fairly pricey. So, long story short, any suggestions on how to keep the undie region relatively dry, at a reasonable price, while avoiding over-trousers would be appreciated.
11 comments
11–11 of 11

Not recommending it because it was pricey but a few years ago, I bought a Marmot jacket that was thigh length. It was made especially for the NZ market with its longer length. It's still going strong but I save it for trips with forecasted rain to prolong its use. I wear a cheap Moa brand long jacket on trips where there might be a bit of light rain or no rain at all. That jacket cost me $50! I think it's a good idea to set aside expensive jackets for the trips you definitely need them on to reduce wear and tear.
11–11 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Bagger
On 12 February 2019
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown