Gas canisters size

What's for you the best size of gas canister to take on a 6 days tramp? I will definitely use my stove once in the morning and once at night... Morning definitely just for boiling water for my coffee and/or tea Night time I'll definitely will use for making some pasta or rise...so I will use for at least 5/10 minutes. I already excluded the small one... You think medium or big?
17 comments
11–17 of 17

G'day @giuseppe23 I usually take a 230g (8oz) canister for 10+ days and always have plenty of fuel left over. However, I only use if for boiling water for dehy dinners so my usage is probably not the best benchmark for you. Found this on the web regarding MSR isopro . https://www.summitpost.org/outdoor-gear/isopro-fuel/2446 "How long will a canister of MSR IsoPro last? In general one 8 oz. canister of MSR IsoPro fuel will be sufficient to boil water for two people over four days in summer. Wind, low temperatures and longer cooking times will increase fuel consumption." It just so happens that I have an 8oz MSR canister and MSR Pocket Rocket sitting on the kitchen bench at the moment, so thought I would do pro-active's test. Bringing 1 cup of water to 30 second rolling boil used 4g of MSR IsoPro. (conditions = light breeze, 30deg C temp) So in the field, I would say that pro-active's 8g per boil-up would be about right under usual circumstances. Add cold weather and a strong wind and you will probably be looking at up to 20g? Cheers, Moh
Thumbs up
Oh and don’t leave one behind at a shelter like we did on the Routeburn, it definitely makes you much less popular with your buddy. And with everybody else. Pack your empty crap and carry it out with you. Leaving a gas cannister with a little bit left is not being nice to the next party. It's being lazy and leaving rubbish. The only things worth leaving are candles, matches, toilet paper, newspaper, and long life food.
Gaiters, sorry I should have made that clearer - it was a full canister left behind with the stove, most definitely by mistake. Made the remainder of the trip tricky to say the least. Luckily we had another canister and small stove, but no matches or pot. The hut warden at Lake MacKenzie was great, gave us an old pot and a box of matches.
👍
I think there is a brand of gas canister - not sure if available in NZ - that has two horizontal reference marks painted onto the canister; one indicating FULL and the other EMPTY. The idea is that when out camping - well away from your electronic weight scales - you find a handy lake or placid river pool, or a large billy of water, and float the canister; this should give a water level somewhere between FULL and EMPTY, which gives you a rough idea as to remaining contents. Of course you can do this yourself on ANY make and size of gas canister if you prepare in advance. If you have both a full and an empty canister of the same type then float them and mark FULL and EMPTY as appropriate. Assuming each canister is identical in dimensions (and filled weight) you can copy those marks, by their vertical positions, to any other canister of that type. A very rough and ready weighing measure, but worth considering.
I think that two of 203 gr at this point would be my choice. I'm sure would be ok. Thanks all for the suggestions.
I'll use about 60g a day for 2 so that's 4 days worth. If you're staying in huts and lighting a woodstove, you can use that too for heating water to some extent and cooking your meal, depending on the fireplace design. This ekes out the gas in your stove. However cooking outside on a windy evening will chew through the gas. I take care to conduct a windshield arrangement e.g. my pack and myself and cook in the lee of these. I've read that using an aluminium windshield around the canister is too intense as it radiate too much heat back onto the canister. I've also read of accounts of people doing that but I wouldn't risk it. Another variant of course is what you're preparing for your evening meal and breakfasts. The commercial dehys are going to use the least fuel. Sometimes I've run a bit low and been so glad to see a spare canister left in a hut b/c someone didn't want to carry it out. Frank's got wise to me and now always carries a partially full canister! I guess if you took the MSR canister it would give you peace of mind that you had sufficient gas and if you had the jetboil, that would make it more efficient but from what I gather it's best with the dehy meal option, not cooking. Unless you utilise the haybox (insulation) method of cooking your meal once it has been brought to the boil.
Thumbs up
11–17 of 17

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by giuseppe23
On 9 February 2019
Replies 16
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown