When people ask "Can I borrow this from you ?"

Curios after the post of foolish people...I was wondering if any of you get annoyed or help people in the hut that usually ask always for something. Can I borrow your stove? Can I have your lighter ? Do you have some food to spare ? And go on and on... What's your reaction usually ?
30 comments
11–20 of 30

yeah thats fair enough, a lot of people run out of food, but when people go with the deliberate intent of bludging in advance, thats a different matter, its about not encouraging the behaviour... those people you met werent goingn to deliberately repeat the behaviour with other people
I was told by a DOC worker that Israelis are the worst, hence their nickname of FISH.
Thumbs up
This thread is starting to move into areas that don't meet the forum code of conduct (#7 specifically) - let's keep the racist/nationalist generalisations out of it, eh?
it might not be the fact they are Israelis as much as young Israelis in general don't tend to have a lot of money compared to a lot of westernised countries, they often travel on a shoestring as it is. so it may be a budget conscious issue rather than a nationality issue.... a lot of them that are travelling have just finished their military service or are students. and arent awash with money from a well paid job.. a lot of people travelling through NZ are really pushing their finances and stretch their money as far as they can, that may bring about them wanting to ask for things from other trampers
Thanks @bernieq -- please keep generalisations based on nationality to yourself as this is detrimental to the forums. Matthew (wearing moderator hat)
Apologies if anyone was offended. Didn't think it breached anything in no.7. Simply relaying what were told by a front line Doc guy. From what we were told it all started when an Israeli published something after returning home from tramping in NZ. His advice to others was that the tramping community and NZers in particular were all so nice and giving that Israelis could tramp in NZ for virtually free. This lead to an influx of great walkers (maybe others) turning up with no food, utensils and in some cases warm clothes, sleeping bags. He only spoke about people from one country so obviously it is or has been an issue, no doubt they aren't the only ones!
its a generalisation,, i've met plenty of well equipped and provisioned israelis, probably the usual story of a few people making the rest look bad.. its not an israeli problem
One point made earlier about equipped huts. They do exist throughout Europe but there is also the Bothy which is sometimes little more than a roof and maybe a wall or 2. Its quite possible to hike a lot of places without much gear but not everywhere. Research on google will tell you whether you need gear. Himalayas is mostly tea houses which are a basic B&B arrangement. Even so a look on google will soon tell you what an area is like, what the accommodation is like and what you will need to go there. One thing that does affect tourists badly is the difficulty bringing used hiking gear into the country. That is for very good reason but it could be behind tourists trying to get by on less than the bare minimum.
Yea, its not like a pot needs to weigh a lot, and you can put other gear in it. The one time I was really bloody annoyed about someone "borrowing" something was a guy in a club trip when we did Field hut to Andersons Memorial hut in a day. This would be a prety big day anyway - made harder by the fact it was boiling hot (typical bloody tararuas!). We were on the tops for hours. One of our guys was going "lightweight" and he only had something like a 750ml water bottle in total as his entire water supply. We had to refill his water bottle (about three times) from our own water supplies. There were four of us in total. Not happy.
Thumbs up
unless you're pouring sweat, he would have survived without the topup...
11–20 of 30

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by giuseppe23
On 4 February 2019
Replies 29
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown