When people ask "Can I borrow this from you ?"

1–10 of 30

Curios after the post of foolish people...I was wondering if any of you get annoyed or help people in the hut that usually ask always for something. Can I borrow your stove? Can I have your lighter ? Do you have some food to spare ? And go on and on... What's your reaction usually ?
"No, you may not borrow 'x'. All of my equipment and supplies are for myself." End of discussion.
I would probably say "yea nah." It really depends who is asking and why they are asking (for me anyway). If someone had the gear but due to some misfortune they dont any more - ie: lost a gas bottle, stove has broken - if I had enough gas I woud let them. If I knew them I would be even more likely to. If it was someone asking to use my gear who expects handouts from anyone else on the trip, I would make up some excuse and not lend them my gear. Also, one club trips we are expected to use our own personal stoves for the whole group, but I usually get someone else in the group to bring another gas cannister
Thumbs up
If the person is courteous and not obviously taking the piss then no problem. Shit happens, it's nice to be able to help others out if they become unstuck, someone else might extend that to you sometime.
Thumbs up
Ive offered gear to other people in the past when they have had a gear failure. Also Ive been caught out when things havnt worked so understand the problem. Try 2 lighters both throwing there flints in the same trip. Luckily there was a box with 5 matches in the hut but two matches lost the striker first strike because they had been damp. If there had been others in the hut I would of asked but you can cook dinner for 5 people on 2 stoves in winter and light 5 candles with one match. I often heat extra water in the mornings for others in the hut to make life easier for everyone. However if someone is there that obviously hasnt made the effort to take appropriate gear the charity stops at the point that they are prevented from dieing.
I don't ever recall anyone asking we for anything in a hut I wasn't willing to give. My the same token no-one has ever asked to borrow my sleeping bag, boots or all my food! I am sure I have also occasionally asked other hut users to lend an item briefly either through gear failure or my annoying habit of forgetting one piece of useful-but-not-vital gear. On the other hand I was very thankful to the family(s) who shared Leitch's Hut with my 3-year old and I last Labour weekend. It was the first overnighter I took her on and I may not have had the most kid-friendly food etc. (Too used to my own solo needs!). Them giving us some marshmallows and damper to cook on their fire made for a much more enjoyable night than my daughter otherwise would have had — she still talks about her "hut friends".
Thumbs up
Grinning
Heart
if you give people your food or gear on a tramp, it encourages them to keep asking. encourages them to be irresponsible and not provide for themselves.. its one thing to do it in a group your travelling with on a minor level, its another thing to ask someone you dont know to feed you... but even in groups i've been with bludgers who dont want to carry any group gear and expect to use that group gear like stoves, gas, shelter... or extra food... and thats not on for adults... why should someone who carries the extra weight have to let someone use it for nothing? when they are getting something for nothing at the other persons expense? most NZ trampers i know usually pull their own weight , or lift it literally... its an expectation. people doing their bit....
within a group often things like stoves etc are organised pre trip to share. The old tramping club I was in supplied white spirit for club trips so it was only the cartage
I opened the post because it happened to me last year. This guy asked me my pot for cooking because He didn't have one...Yes I'll be honest...I was annoyed by the request because I usually cook in my pot and I don't want anyone else food in my own thing. I gave it to him at end...but I thought to my self How could you possibly not carry a pot for overnight treks...?
Thumbs up
I loaned my pot to a couple of guys in Panakiri hut, they thought huts would be supplied as they were in their home country, it didn't bother me at all. Recently I shared some food with another foreign hiker who was just a little short because he had extended his walk. He wasn't irresponsible or reckless or begging, just a little hungry and I was finishing my walk that day. I would hope that people would treat me likewise if I am in need.
1–10 of 30

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by giuseppe23
On 4 February 2019
Replies 29
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown