Kahurangi NP - Mobile Coverage

Hi All I've seen the odd blog reporting that there are a few spots in Kahurangi where mobile reception is possible. I'll be grabbing a pre-paid sim when I visit, and was wondering if there is a NZ service provider that has better mobile coverage than the rest in more remote areas. I know here in QLD that one particular provider has far better coverage than the others. Is NZ (in particular the North of the South Islandi) the same? Cheers Moh
20 comments
11–20 of 20

Nice trip - as I said previously, intermittent coverage (agree with madpom; Vodafone) at some high points along the Douglas. It's certainly possible to get around the Twins. Although I've not tried it, I did do some research for a previous trip - found a trip report of a group travelling from Arthur to Baton Saddle and beyond along the tops - that would be my choice if the weather is conducive. A little positive for you; the Cobb should be pretty quiet given the parlous bridge condition :smile: (btw: 'back *up* the Cobb' I think you mean. Yes, I'd suggest leaving out the Peal. Drop down to Fenella Hut and do a side trip up to Xenicus and Gibbs. Then back up onto the Lockett, along and drop down to the Cobb at Trilobite)
Auckland Tramping Club have a couple of trip reports that will be useful - I'm sure there are others. https://tinyurl.com/ycennju8 Their plan was to drop into Roaring Lion River from Fenella but weather changed the plan to Gordons Pyramid, Mt Arthur, Ellis hut, S Twin and along to Baton River.
The Cobb road is good and in the best condition I've ever seen it post the recent work. [was there on Tuesday] Bridges are fixed and bar another major flood/slipping event the access is secure again (touch wood!) We saw two other vehicles when in there and only went as far as the Peat Valley track start. There were probably more vehicles further up the road. The word will get around quickly that the road is now good! Pretty good trip you are contemplating Moh. Some fab country and it will be a great experience if you get good wx for tops travel!
Vodafone it is then. @bernieq, yes, I meant up the Cobb. If I skip the Peel range, I had similar thoughts about a day trip from Fenella.. Also, thanks for the link regarding the twins, I've actually been looking for this report https://www.aucktramping.org.nz/index.php/portfolio/120-news/trip-reports/nelson-marlborough/405-interim-2015-douglas-lockett-arthur-ranges for the past couple of weeks, but could not find it again. Your link led me to it :)
Had pretty good reception from Mt Owen area with Vodafone.
Aaah, thanks glenn, I hadn't checked the latest info on the Cobb before posting - slack me :(. Have a great trip, moh - it's a big plan but you've done your research - all you need now is decent weather.
As previously mentioned, the Garmin/Delorme inReach is a great device. It can pair with your mobile and weighs less than 250g. So long as you have vision to the sky and the satellites, you're in business. It has a PLB function and you can text anyone including SAR if you get into bother.
I think the general principle is if you have line of sight from a high point in the mountains to a town on the plains, you should be able to make a call/txt. No idea if that translates to data service to look at a weather website. I might be wrong, I tend to leave my phone behind or turned off and buried somewhere in my pack...
Not so, Ian_H, phone tower antennas are directional. Even if the coverage is pointing at you, range is dependant on power supplied to the antenna. So, the coverage footprint is highly customised for each antenna. Signal *is* 'line of sight' so if you can see a town you are in with a chance but it's by no means certain.
people are so used to mobile saturation in populated areas, they dont realise how much infrastructure is required to get that saturation, people get some coverage in the mountains and they think they are fine, but you'll see how patch the coverage can be in some areas even when you have line of sight to populated areas... another issue is the signal strength isnt good in the mountains mobile phones use variable power according to the signal strength, in the towns with good signal strength... your battery could last you days, leave your phone going in the mountains with cellular data turned on and your battery will drain a lot faster trying to maintain connectivity. theres endless stores in the press about people calling for help from the mountains and their phones go flat.... because their phones are on maximum power to get a connection and people dont realise their battery life is far shorter away from the cell phone towers... one case someone who was lost in the mountains and was making a video call. the fastest way to drain your battery.... that person was eventually found, long after their phone went dead, after they died of exposure...
11–20 of 20

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Moh_Oz
On 16 January 2019
Replies 19
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown