Kahurangi NP - Mobile Coverage

1–10 of 20

Hi All I've seen the odd blog reporting that there are a few spots in Kahurangi where mobile reception is possible. I'll be grabbing a pre-paid sim when I visit, and was wondering if there is a NZ service provider that has better mobile coverage than the rest in more remote areas. I know here in QLD that one particular provider has far better coverage than the others. Is NZ (in particular the North of the South Islandi) the same? Cheers Moh
DON'T EVER RELY ON CELLULAR CONNECTION IN THE NZ MOUNTAINS FROM ANY PROVIDER, ESPECIALLY IN THE SOUTH ISLAND, AND DEFINITELY IN THE VALLEYS... THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE CONSERVATION PARK AREAS IN NZ HAVE ZERO CELLULAR COVERAGE... TOO MANY PEOPLE RELY ON CELL PHONES FOR COMMUNICATION AND RESCUE IN THE MOUNTAINS, WITHOUT ANY OTHER RELABLE COMMS DEVICE
Where are you headed, moh? Have a look at the coverage maps. It is limited but there are patches - some of the high points along the Douglas, for example. Only on the tops, of course, nothing in the valleys.
Thumbs up
coverage is still dependant on good weather.... any connectivity is often at the limit of coverage, and rainy weather can kill whatever connectivity there is...
Hi Moh! I usually get a Vodafone sim card but as already suggested mobile coverage is pretty crap when you heading to the bush. I was thinking to get a garmin inreach explorer. Outside of owning a satellite phone, it's one of the only ways to have two-way communications with friends, family, and emergency services outside of cell service. It's a bit pricey but I believe could be a good investment for the future. Just in case you want to have a look. https://explore.garmin.com/en-AU/inreach/
I know you can call from the top of Mt Arthur (at least on a good day)... beyond that I don't know.
Hi All I appreciate your concern. I have a PLB for emergencies. In addition, I've taken a Sat phone in the past, but never used it, and reception is not always guaranteed, therefore do not bother any more. I'll be out and about in Kahurangi for 14days, so as a convenience (rather than necessity) would like to get a weather update from the MET website if the opportunity arises. Someone posted an instagram photo from Mt Arthur the other day, so I know good data connection is possible in the right conditions. I was in Nelson Lakes last year, and reception was possible from a few spots, but only if you were with a particular service provider. Despite other people being quite excited, I paid no attention at the time, as connection to civilisation is usually the last thing on my wish list while tramping. @bernieq. The plan is to start out on the Boulder Lake track, then along the Douglas and Lockett ranges, head back down the Cobb and then along Peel range, day trip to Mt Arthur, head down the Leslie-Karame until Trevor Carter, then up over Biggs Tops, Mt Luna to John Reid Hut, and then out to Rolling River junction. I'm still tossing up skipping Peel range and head up Mt Owen instead. Travel along Tops or the Valleys will depend on what the weather is doing. Was also considering heading along the Arthur range as a fine weather alternative to Leslie-Karamea, but could not find much detail on a route to get past the Twins . Looking at the mobile coverage maps (I didn't even know these existed), 2degrees has slightly better coverage along the tops than Vodafone, with Spark coming in last. Thanks for the help Cheers, Moh.
garmin inreach can receive forecasts via satellite
Last time I looked 2 degrees did not have a rural network of their own - they used vodafone's network outside the main centres ... so i'd be very suspiscious if they claim to have better coverage. Correct me if that's changed
2 degrees have their own towers , but in some areas use vodafone towers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2degrees#Coverage
1–10 of 20

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Moh_Oz
On 16 January 2019
Replies 19
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown