Adding locations to photographs

On the tracks and huts on this web site it is possible for anyone to go in and edit the details. However we can't do this for the photos. I would like to go in a enter the locations for some of the wonderful photos on this site as I think that makes them more visible. Perhaps it should be possible for anyone to add a grid reference for the photos
I agree, it's annoying being unable to improve the meta data of another user's photo. Tracks and huts are "shared" objects, meaning anybody can edit them. Photographs are "private" objects, meaning only the owner and admin staff can edit them. On a site like Wikipedia it would be appropriate for one user to edit meta data about the photo someone else uploaded. However here there is value in retaining personal control over your additions, so that editing is restricted. In FaceBook, a user can "tag" people in a photo without being the owner of the photo. This seems to me to be a similar situation. I am thinking about what the best solution might be. One solution might be to allow meta data editing of your photos, an option I am leaning toward.
I see 2 photos just posted, supposedly from Mt Grey near West Arm Manapouri, showing quiet rolling landscapes with pastoral grass. Obviously the wrong location. There are also many photos here without locations that become lost if one is using this site to research a certain area. I would love to be able to fix some of those anomalies, even if it could be added as additional data somehow without upsetting the integrity of the original poster's intentions.
Part of the problem is that that location picking is a bit difficult -- you don't see it's the wrong location until too late. This area needs work. For now, if you see photographs with the wrong location, I'd suggest tagging them with "wrong location" or wronglocation.
Good idea Matthew. I will do that. Wrong locations are bad but thete is also the issue of photos without locations. For example I was researching the Waioeka area the other day and found photos of Tawa and Kahunui Huts. It wasn't until ater I found that Makakoere Hut is also there. I have all the locations of the huts in NZ from DOC's own database so could rectify that quite quickly. What I think I will do here is add the hut as a hut object and associate the picture with it.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by pmcke
On 22 January 2008
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown