Longest tramp ever?

Hello people! Which one has been your longest hike ? How many days you spent tramping without getting any supply ? One week?Two weeks?More?
The longest consecutive tramps planned, at the Uni tramping club were 10-12 days. The two I remember were Dusky Track and one on Stewart Island. Often it started with a normal track then went up a side track to somewhere off the beaten path ... usually it wasn't more than a week though. I avoided those ones as you tended to get in areas that were overgrown/slow going with unhappy surprises like spiny spear grass.
In the 70's and early 80's I used to do up to 3 week stints in the bush. This would involve shooting fresh meat and or catching fish to supplement food supplies. The deer cullers pre 1973 used to do summer seasons of approx six months from October to May with some only coming out for a short Xmas break. They usually had air or packhorse supplied food but had to provide their own fresh meat from their hunting.
My longest tramp was 977 kms, I was out for 7 weeks, I resupplied on average every 3-5 days.
My longest would be about a week on Stewart Island NWest Circuit and about 9 days or so on the GR20 in Corsica, the latter did offer regular resupplies at the huts/refuges. I've done longer combining cycle touring in Central America with some tramping, a couple of 3 1/2 week trips in Costa Rica and Belize/Guatemala. Both though were most often staying in cheap hotels. Without any supplies would be a week.
Two of us started up the BeansBurn after the jet boat from Glenorchy with close to 40kg each. It was not our first time on the Five Passes. This trip included the side trip down to the Olivine Flats and up the Forgotten river. The extra weight being food supplies and the climbing gear for access to the Olivine Plateau. By the time we made it around to Park Pass we were having a minor stove problem. Instead of going over to North Col or taking our time to go down the Rockburn, we used the stove excuse to cut the trip short. We managed to leave Park Pass bivvy at noon and get to Glenorchy via Sugarloaf Pass by the end of the day. Total time out 9 days.
54 days with 6 food drops: 4 x boat and 2 by helicopter. I've done a couple of 12 day trips (Waitaha/Ivory Lake) and a lot of 10 day trips, usually being the north-west circuit on Stewart Island or variants of it.
Wow everyone. @Honora where did you go for 54 days ? If I can ask.
Maggie & I had 16 days on our backs winter 2013 for the Hollyford/Pyke but extended to 18 days with a surprise junkfood airdrop at Big Bay.Lot of exploring,2 night stays in some huts with tenting when it suited.I tend to take too much on my tramps but on a long tramp,your back limits any unnecessary extras.Fab trip.The only fly in the ointment was the first night at Hidden Falls Hut where DOC had removed the logfire for maintenance.By the time we got back to it two & a half weeks later,it had been reinstalled.
Maggie & I had 16 days on our backs winter 2013 for the Hollyford/Pyke but extended to 18 days with a surprise junkfood airdrop at Big Bay.Lot of exploring,2 night stays in some huts with tenting when it suited.I tend to take too much on my tramps but on a long tramp,your back limits any unnecessary extras.Fab trip.The only fly in the ointment was the first night at Hidden Falls Hut where DOC had removed the logfire for maintenance.By the time we got back to it two & a half weeks later,it had been reinstalled.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by giuseppe23
On 10 January 2019
Replies 9
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown