Blisters under toes

1–10 of 16

I get blisters on the undersides of my toes (mainly the big ones) from walking downhill. I think it is due to these long and prehensile appendages of mine trying to grasp at the terrain.... Does anyone else experience this and/or have any ideas on how to prevent it? I'm wondering if there is something I could stuff underneath my toes...
I get them sometimes from tennis, but afterwards probably the skin just toughens up. What I got last summer going downhill, for the first time (and so did my cousin on a second trip with me), was black toe nails, especially on the big toe (and on a little one). We blame them of slightly smaller boots (probably due to my feet growing bigger with age).
Hi @Syncop8r Thank God at moment I don't have big problems with blisters but I still carry my kit just in case. I read many good reviews about a particular pair of socks that apparently help to prevent your feet to get any sort of blisters It's the Wigwam coolmax liner socks...people saying that this liner sock have done miracles and prevents blisters. Have a look. https://www.wildfiresports.com.au/wigwam-coolmax-liner-sock?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9Oa1heOT3wIVSSQrCh0apwbqEAQYASABEgIpy_D_BwE
This is the description from the company. When you combine moisture and heat, you get one big sweaty, blistery disaster. That’s why is always a good idea to chuck on a pair of sock liners underneath your heavier socks before a long hike. The Wigwam Coolmax Liner socks are lightweight and made of Coolmax Polyester. These will allow your perspiration to be transferred to your heavier sock away from your skin, and that way you won’t get that friction that causes blisters. They’ll also act as an extra barrier if your hiking boots rub your feet. For ultra-lightweight liner for your feet that will make your hiking experience so much more comfortable, the Wigwam Coolmax Liner socks will have you completely covered. •Made from 62% Coolmax Polyester, 37% Stretch Nylon and 1% Spandex •Ultra-lightweight •Keeps your feet cool & dry •Won’t give your feet blisters
I wont wear any synthetic sock. Maybe as a liner these would be ok but I tend to wear a merino inner sock and cheap gumboot socks over them. Its important to have boots that fit well and wearing socks that improve the fit. Narrow boots and I can only wear 1 pair of socks. Only time Ive suffered blisters was when I used to wear 2 pair of warehouse work socks and one pair wore down to look more like a scouring pad than a sock.
These aren't your normal foot rubbing against shoe blisters, more the toes pressing down hard into the soles. But I appreciate the replies so far...
Like I said it could be that your skin is too soft at the beginning of the season: "I get them sometimes from tennis, but afterwards probably the skin just toughens up."
For me - working on the hill every day - these have nothing to do with soft feet at the beginning of a tramp and everything to do with sweatiness of my toes - especially coming into summer. Absolutely a summertime-only problem, in the folds in the skin beneath my toes, and in between them though, not on the ball of the toe. Tried many things to prevent - creams, talc, different sock material, plasters _before_ they occur - but only found things that make them worse. Not sure if it's the same issue you have though, and of no assistance even if it is.
There are gel things and something made of wool fibre that are advertised as working but Ive never had a need to try them.I switched to socks made of at least half wool years ago to combat tinea and a slight odor ( ok not slight)and since then I have had 0 problems with blisters of other skin issues. If I was wearing synthetic socks even in winter I could wring them out by morning tea time
When I was looking at insoles I saw you can get different types of forefoot pads, that may be able to help. https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Metatarsal-Silicone-Athletes-Instantly/dp/B07HHGMP9Z
1–10 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Syncop8r
On 9 December 2018
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown