Round the Mountain Track (Ruapehu)

Heya, was looking at doing the Round the Mountain Track in a few weeks. I was thinking I would park at Whakapapa Village and go from there. I'm curious to hear more about the track and the condition of it, elevation gain and loss, fords, etc...How difficult would you rate the track? I realise this is subjective but any info appreciated. I'm guessing the smart play is to go counter-clockwise to avoid a 3km uphill roadwalk? About me - heaps of experience, tramps in the 800-900km range overseas, moderate NZ experience, however a recent back injury has put everything on hold for a few years and I kinda feel like I'm starting over a little. Been training for the past 6 weeks and keen to try to do something worthwhile. This track seems to fit the bill as it's close to Auckland and I don't have to get on a plane. I plan on doing the track in 3 days at the most. Any advice or information appreciated. Cheers
48 comments
21–30 of 48

Awesome, thanks for all the information
What you should be taking anyway is an offline topomap on your phone. Install Backcountry Navigator, download the Ruapehu area, and you can't get lost.
Thanks for your opinion. I think it's pretty bad form to advise someone to use their phone as a navigational tool, I prefer real maps.
Thumbs up
phones are highly falable to water and damage and running out of power... its a problem today that a lot of trampers don't use maps and compasses or even know how to use them. theres the whole dumbing down process of using technology, that people are treating as a complete solution to navigation. the news is full of people who were relying on their phone in the bush and it failed and they had no backup form of navigation
waynowski, really? Nonsense. IP67/IP68 phones are pretty cheap, and you would be carrying a battery charger anyway. The old school method of what to do when are lost: 1. find out where you are on the map. Right there and then an utter fail. I won't deny map and compass can be useful, but it's way harder then people think it is, and using a map on your phone is a nice stepping stone.
Thumbs up
never rely completely on electronics for navigation... they arent fullproof for the reasons i mentioned above, when they stop working you need to understand how to use a map and compass. a lot of people dont think beyond relying on their electronics, its also an issue with beacons, people have beacons and dont bother with alteratives such as making sure someone is briefed on your trip intentions incase the beacon doesnt work.

This thread branched to "electronics in the outdoors" on . Explore the branch (9 messages).

Due to some minor surgery everything has been delayed, I'll update this thread again when I'm ready to go, probably not until January.
I have just done the RTM in 4 days , clockwise, about 28.5 hours walking time. My biggest day was Rangipo to Mangaturuturu in 9.5 hours and I got a ride up the road. Then to Whakapapa about 9 hours. I was getting pretty tired by then. I met 4 parties/individuals going the other way in 3 days. Whakapapa to Mangaturuturu 7.5 hours, to Rangipo 9.5 hours and I'm guessing to Whakapapa 9 hours. They were about half my age, maybe less, all but one were T. A. walkers. It is spectacular country, particularly the drier side. Next time I will do it in 5 days.
Hi, I was wondering if you ended up doing the Round The Mountain walk? I am off to do it in a couple of weeks - anti-clockwise, 3 days, and was keen to hear if that timing worked for you? Thanks
Hi Justine - your message is timely. I had a few setbacks since this post, one being a re-emerging back injury and also minor surgery (not back related). This means I haven't been able to get out there yet, however I have a unique window this upcoming weekend that I'm seriously looking at. If I go I will be doing the same, anti-clockwise, and in 3 days. I would probably go: • Mangaturuturu Hut - 19.0 • Rangipo Hut - 23.4 • Whakapapa Village - 26.8 If I get out there this weekend I'll make sure I keep track of times and terrain to report back.
21–30 of 48

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by jmeyer
On 20 November 2018
Replies 47
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown