6/7 days worth of food in a 50 Lt backpack.

Hi people. Would you be able to pack a 50 Lt with 6/7 days worth of tramping with food and gear? Months ago following the advice of the “less is more” of one of you guys I bought it a macpac Torlesse 50 Lt backpack…that I truly love.This is the link https://www.macpac.com.au/packs/hiking-packs/torlesse-50l-pack-v2/115002.html?cgid=packs-hiking_packs Coming on next feb I would be tramping for at least 6 days and I’m not sure if this pack would have enough storage for gear and food. Usually I take with me -3 pair of undies -pair of socks -Lightweight pot 1.9 lt,gas canister and MSR mini pocket stove. -Leggins for sleeping and one long sleeve shirt in merino -Hard shell rain jacket -Mid shell jacket -Hut/camp jacket -one lightweight t shirt -First kit id -little knife -rain pants - Gaiters(?) After this list I need to add 6/7 days worth of food… Opinions and suggestions are open please
44 comments
21–30 of 44

To each their own, they make different packs for a reason. But me and my wife are great fans of the Osprey's anti-gravity system. I.e. much more airflow. If you don't sweat much, that might not be so important.
Thumbs up
Will let you know after Christmas ...I will wait for some special before buying now. Thanks all for your help.
thumbs-up for the Osprey. I'm on my third one now. I think I'll have to sell my Aarn Pack b/c I'm never going to use it! That airflow system in the Osprey is why I sold my Go-Lite. Brilliant for hot flushes.
I have that Macpac pack and have had it for a while - I may have the V1 version. Its good but weights about 2.7kg - the Osprey may be lighter. I bought the macpac mainly for the tough fabric - its very canvassy and can withstand a lot of bush abuse. Its fairly simple however and attaching things to it (especially ice axe & crampons) always requires a lot of customising on my part. In my tramping club Im own my own with my pack - the vast majority of people seem to favour Osprey, so that brand must be doing something right.
I carried 10 days food in a 50lt exped lightning. This was with tent also, though it was on the outside but the matress was in my pack. So I guess it comes down to size of your gear, how much food you need per day & how basic your diet is. And yes that was with a cooker & sleeping bag also.
Thumbs up
That’s not bad with a lightning
Yeah I upgraded and bought a lot of smaller lightweight stuff. And basic food - porridge every morning, lots of couscous & dehy peas
It should be doable in a 50lt pack even if you dont have super lightweight gear. I get a similar set of gear in to a 38Lt for week-long trips and that includes a tent (admittedly on the outside). My gear is by no means lightweight either (sleeping bag is 1.2kg for example). I have noticed however when I put my 38lt Deuter next to other supposedly larger volume packs it appears to be bigger. So all quoted volumes may not be equal! I would drop one of the non-waterproof jackets and just run with a fleece as well as dropping the rain pants (though I see you have already had this conversation in another thread) and the leggings for sleeping unless you are going somewhere alpine. I guess if it doesnt fit, it doesnt fit, though!
Getting back to those rainpants. Yes, I know wrong thread but I'm too lazy...there have been trips where I would have been just about crying if I hadn't worn my overtrousers due to scrub. But that was before I started wearing long nylon trousers in summer or long johns (leggings) in winter as a matter of course. The first time I had to stop and put the overtrousers on in scrub was a trip along an escarpment above the Ngakawau Gorge. And they were pricey gortex overtrousers.
I think the rain pants is an each to their own thing. Between gaitors to my knees and shorts midway down my thighs I probably have six inches of thigh/knee exposed at most. Yeah, sometimes they get a bit scratched up in scrub and if the weather is absolutely foul on the tops they do probably get a bit cold but if I keep moving it has never been a problem. If I was scuffling for room and it's a non-alpine trip in summer then they would be first thing to go. Just checked my Deuter pack and it is actually 36lt too now 38.
21–30 of 44

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by giuseppe23
On 19 November 2018
Replies 43
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown