6/7 days worth of food in a 50 Lt backpack.

Hi people. Would you be able to pack a 50 Lt with 6/7 days worth of tramping with food and gear? Months ago following the advice of the “less is more” of one of you guys I bought it a macpac Torlesse 50 Lt backpack…that I truly love.This is the link https://www.macpac.com.au/packs/hiking-packs/torlesse-50l-pack-v2/115002.html?cgid=packs-hiking_packs Coming on next feb I would be tramping for at least 6 days and I’m not sure if this pack would have enough storage for gear and food. Usually I take with me -3 pair of undies -pair of socks -Lightweight pot 1.9 lt,gas canister and MSR mini pocket stove. -Leggins for sleeping and one long sleeve shirt in merino -Hard shell rain jacket -Mid shell jacket -Hut/camp jacket -one lightweight t shirt -First kit id -little knife -rain pants - Gaiters(?) After this list I need to add 6/7 days worth of food… Opinions and suggestions are open please
44 comments
11–20 of 44

Note that if you overload a pack, it wears way worse than simply having a bigger pack. 50 litres is fine if you're in huts and have the lightest weight gear, i.e. 600 grams sleeping bag, and as suggested dehydrated food. But with a few more litres you can carry better food, and carry stuff that makes for a better experience. It's not a race... I'm carrying 65 litres, that's plenty, and I usually carry some lightweight but bulky stuff.
Looking at your list, you said you had: -Mid shell jacket -Hut/camp jacket I suggest only one is needed. If in summer, just a fleece will do, you can use your raincoat as hard shell. If you go on the tops, a down jacket might be nice, depends a bit on where you're going.
@berend de boer that's right my list was quite superficial Forgot to add on the list -Kitchen utensil. -Camera -headlump -usb bank charger -gloves -bini -light shorts
Yep, gotta remember the headlump. I usually don't remember my headlump until I bump my head on a bunk support in the middle of the night after forgetting my headlamp... And my bini usually has a "k" and an "i" in the middle which makes for a great conversation piece at the hut. Just havin' fun, Giuseppe!
Grinning
hahhaha @gregor well said. If we don't have laugh would've be too boring.. A lot of dreams and talks at moment for me...I've been stuck at work and not much outdoor adventure for me lately.
Grinning
I did a trial.. Definitely 50 lt would be too small for a week. There you go ... :-/
Thanks for your sense of humour, Giuseppe; I mean no offence. I have an Arc'Teryx Altra 65L and I've been able to undertake 8-day treks with it. However, it was loaded to the gills although almost everything was contained within the pack except my plb and sleeping pad. 6-7 days' supplies in a 50L pack is a stretch but doable. It will require thoughtful decisions on placement within/without the pack and food selection. Consider hanging weather-proof contents on the outside of your pack protected by a pack cover. Food selection is critical on longer tramps and I think this is the crucial decsion point for your weight/encumbrance: how much 'food comfort' are you willing to sacrifice for pack weight/capacity?
If headlumps are likely to be an issue, suggest that you might also need to take a helmet? ;-)
Thinking of getting this macpac 65 lt https://www.macpac.com.au/packs/hiking-packs/torlesse-65l-pack-v2/115001.html?cgid=packs-hiking_packs Even if probably a 70 from osprey....but I Never been in love with the brand...time to do some research.
Different packs have their fans. Some like the Aarns, the Exped Lightning, but I like my Osprey Aether 70 best. Very comfortable and very good back venting. But that's a whole new thread ?.
11–20 of 44

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by giuseppe23
On 19 November 2018
Replies 43
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown