Tramping in Gumboots

1–10 of 11

This thread branched from "Three Passes Route" on . Explore the branch.

Following on from glennj's mention of tramping in gumboots I'm curious if it was a common practice. I heard my grandfather did but assumed it was just him.
lace up gumboots, rubber boots. pretty common practice. esp for those on a budget people often drilled holes in the soles to let any water drain out..
I know people that use them. They love them but I think they would rot my feet
oh ok, never seen lace ups.
Hard-core NZFS bushmen and cullers used them almost exclusively and after seeing how fast these guys could move, I decided to give them a go myself, and used them as my main goto boot for many years. Great in most bush and ice-free conditions. The main trick is not to think you will keep your feet dry; the holes you drill into them are there to keep a nice fresh flush of clean water through that washes out the salt from your sweat. I believe that it's excess salt that promotes blisters more than anything else, so making sure your feet are being regularly rinsed in clean water helps a lot. The only time I didn't like my Bullers was on one trip where I was on dry tops several days running. Also make absolutely certain when you buy them that they are totally comfortable; they don't break in like normal boots. The slightest discomfort, especially around the ankles, will only get worse. Often one foot will be quite different to the other. The other thing you learn is to place your instep on roots and slippery bits; the tread behaves a bit differently to your standard Vibram sole. I like the way they encourage a more fluid stride and pace; and they're definitely lighter and less effort for the same distance. Used within their limits they're worth a try to see how they work for you. Ultimately though you're not going to toss out your conventional tramping boots, but both have their place.
As I recall, Rubber Bullers seemed to become popular with the NZFS cullers in the Te urewera,and other North island areas. The mandatory boot (after the hobnailed type) initially in was leather "Anson" type commando soled. Heel and Toe plates were fitted, using Horse Shoe Nails. Often Tricounis were added. They weighted a lot! Took bit of getting used to, but then didn't seemed to notice the weight In the Tararuas, only leather boots were permitted in the 1960s The Te Urewera trend got adopted elsewhere, and many cullers used them. I did to, in Taranaki, Urewera, Kaimanawas. Some fitted the steel heel plates with horseshoe nails. I found it damaged the boots sole, and didn't feel right But when moved to south island went back to leather boots when stopped the shooting work, I used Bullers for a long time, but found about 10 years ago - in the Tararuas, feet/ankles getting bit sore. Am now back to leather boots
In the early 90's Bullers were all the rage amongst the students. Cheap, robust, didn't need to maintain the leather. You had to mark them in some way to distinguish yours from the twenty other pairs laying around. I wore through a few pairs and it was always fun when getting a new pair to burn a couple of drain holes and to cut a notch in the back for the achilles. Loved them for sloshing about in Tarries mud and rivers. I still have a pair, mainly used for watching the kid's rugby from the sidelines these days. They also burn well too, as one guy found out when attempting to dry his pair out next to the campfire. Sadly I see that Skellerup no longer make Buller boots although they still sell the Ashley (taller calf height) and the Hiker (upmarket Buller).
Bullers were my go to for years. Use them for the lawns and coaching rugby now. But will give them another crack for bush stalking now I’ve invested in a rifle. They last for years dry out super quick and are cheap. They don’t make them anymore I believe though they are still easily found in rural stores.
Can John Bull boots be good for tramping?
@TrailGirl I'm not sure at all about "John Bull" boots. Is that a brand of rubber boot? In general the boots talked about above where fairly well made Skellerups with a reasonable tread pattern. The original ankle high Buller they made that was most popular looks like it's not available anymore. There probably isn't much depth of experience out there with other brands/styles. If it's cheap and cheerful, there's no harm trying them out on a weekend/day trip. Good for the garden if they don't work out. :-)
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by chriss
On 21 October 2018
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown