Editing contributions - posting instructions etc

1–10 of 15

Hello Matthew, Thankyou for this site. I'm a "newby" here & completed my schooling before the days of computers so may not be as internet savvy as many who use the site. I've been posting photos & hut info with some success but also at times are having glitches despite believing the photos to be of the correct size. Also sometimes I can't get back into a contribution to edit it. A few instructions on posting and editing wouldn't go amiss & may encourage some older types to make a contribution. Re contributions that I can't edit, would you delete or fix for me my 16 August contribution "New" Lower Arahura hut. There are two versions the same there. Both preview but neither open properly. Similarly on 20th August "New" Lower Arahura hut June 2010 photo shows in the preview pane but will not open. Thanks glennj
Hi Matthew, I see you haven't fixed or deleted the "Lower Arahura" contributions mentioned above that won't open properly. I'll try re doing them. It would be appreciated if you would delete the originals. I notice that three huts have duplicate hut pages; Bealey Spur, Hawdon & Lake Christabel. These could be merged. I don't know how to do that & am also reluctant to mess with others posts so it would be good if you would tidy them up. Cheers glennj
I've updated and merged the duplicate entries for three huts Bealey Spur, Hawdon & Lake Christabel you mention. Lower Arahura seems to be a bigger problem. I just tried to view the pages, each of which gave an error. But then NZ tramper went down for 10 minutes! Oops. Think something bad is wrong there. Leave that one to Matthew!
Ta "madpom" for merging the duplicate entries mentioned above. The re-done Lower Arahura photo is opening ok now but the L.A. hut page still has a glitch. I'll wait for Matthew to delete the L.A. hut pages before trying again.
Hello Matthew, Ta for fixing the glitch with the Lower Arahura hut stuff. It allowed me to edit it. I couldn't work out how to delete the duplicate hut record tho so used the merge option. How do you delete rather than just edit hut records that you've created? Recently I've noticed that three of the photos I posted a while back which were opening properly now don't open at all. No error messages come up either. Would you have a look at photos Confluence of Karamea & Kakapo Rivers, Gorge River hut & Greys hut to see if you can restore their functionality. Ta, glennj.
Attn Matthew, I appear to have fixed the three disfunctional photos mentioned above by reloading the files. I've no idea why they suddenly stopped opening! I still think "a few instructions on posting and editing wouldn't go amiss" for some of us to help us make the most of this site! Cheers, glennj
I think it is one of Matthew's to do lists to improve the photo situation. I haven't had too many problems and I think the key is to resize your photos to smaller than 1024X768 pixels before you upload. There also seems to ne some post processing that is done about once a day, hence no need to panic when thumbnails don't appear immediately. I think it is also great if people can put the locations of their photos in so that people who are browsing a certain area can see them. Also remember to put the keyword "hut" in there if it is a picture of a hut, then it appears on the hut wall.
Hi everybody, Sorry I totally missed all this. I am in fact still alive, although you wouldn't know it. First we had an earthquake, then I left the country, then I dealt with the site being offline, then I moved house, and I've had little time since. Sorry :-( glennj, your photos that suddenly broke: this is likely due to a site restore from backup that happened late November. A few images posted after the backup was made went missing. This is not something that happens often! That was the first time. Totally my fault, not yours. Yes, resize your photos first and you'll be fine. Finding a better way to do photos is a priority for me. Is there anything else in this thread that is still a problem? Matthew
5 deleted posts from fienieptvet, brexsqueeds, pauloz, tweywey, Medododylit
Hi Matthew, one improvement that I would find a big help when entering or editing info is to change how the scroll bar works so that you can actually see what you are typing once you've exceeded the size of the dialogue box. Currently it automatically scrolls back toward the top thus you can't see what you've just typed. Having the box display the most recent typing would be heaps better. The only reason I can think of as to why it is set up the way it is would be to discourage longer contributions?
glennj - think this is a bug. Seems to happen on some browsers and not others. Internet explorer seems bad for it - does what you describe. Chrome seems to remain at the bottom where you are typing as you'd expect.
1–10 of 15

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by glennj
On 5 September 2010
Replies 14
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown