Is it illegal to swim in the emerald lakes?

DOC says > All waterways including the lakes on Tongariro and his peaks Ngauruhoe and Ruapehu are sacred to local iwi, Ngāti Hikairo ki Tongariro. Kaumātua Te Ngaehe Wanikau asks visitors to the area to respect the sanctity of the maunga tapu (sacred mountains) by not touching or entering any of the waterways including the alpine lakes Does this mean it is illegal to swim in the Emerald Lakes or is it just a request not to? As me and a few mates are planning a trip up there and have a swim
12 comments
11–12 of 12

probably one of the reasons the local Iwi who do own the land around kitetahi hot springs banned the public from using the springs because so many did when requested not to... the iwi may get control over the park soon as they have over Te Urewera, and if people flout Maori protocols then we may be faced with more serious restrictions.. at present theres a lot of trust given to the public not todisrespect Maori traditions and protocols... crater lake on ruapehu is quite acidic, and toxic, the colour of the water in emerald lakes means its likely to be quite toxic, full of toxic minerals and other toxic compounds.. a cheist was telling me you can absorb some toxic minerals through your skin, it could make you sick.
Kia ora e hoa mā, @Exilr, the first forum rule is that we respect the community values. The sixth community value is that we respect Māori beliefs, rights, and values. @Gaiters is a long term and valued member of this community. You are not. This might not be the right place for you. If you want to stick around, you're welcome to do so respectfully. I don't expect to see further discussion on this thread. I see it as asked and answered. Matthew Moderator
Thumbs up
11–12 of 12

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Exilr
On 5 October 2018
Replies 11
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown