Is it illegal to swim in the emerald lakes?

1–10 of 12

DOC says > All waterways including the lakes on Tongariro and his peaks Ngauruhoe and Ruapehu are sacred to local iwi, Ngāti Hikairo ki Tongariro. Kaumātua Te Ngaehe Wanikau asks visitors to the area to respect the sanctity of the maunga tapu (sacred mountains) by not touching or entering any of the waterways including the alpine lakes Does this mean it is illegal to swim in the Emerald Lakes or is it just a request not to? As me and a few mates are planning a trip up there and have a swim
Is this an exercise in arrogance, all I can read in the above post is I'm a jerk. Do what ever you want I'm sure you will. The consequences will be all yours.
Yes you could say I am arrogant, but who does not have their faults? Its just a question
What response were you hoping for? We all have faults but come on bro. Like how disrespectful are you. Is there nowhere better for you to swim or is it just tapu places that do it for you and your mates
Thumbs up
Well yeah your right but as tax paying citizens dont we all have part ownership of the state owned land? For example could I make a request not to climb Mt Tongariro because I want it to myself?
Your such a dick. Not even worth talking too. I'd rather have a cup of tea on top of tongariro with an Israeli, Czech, Swiss, Indian or Chinese tourist than you. But thanks for illustrating previous points I have made tonight. Tongariro you ignorant clown was gifted as a national park by Te heuheu the paramount chief of tuwharetoa. A Tribe I am part of. It became like the second national park in the world I believe after Yellowstone. All he asked was a small amount of cultural considerations for the country to be able to enjoy this national treasure. Over a hundred years later guys like you from the country he was a chief of come along and make me shake my head. Get an education man and wake up to the country in which you live. We sit here ripping into tourists and then clowns like you come along wanting to debate topics you have absolutely no idea about.
Thumbs up
Doesnt Iwi still own this land but loan it in perpetuity to the Crown? Even if that is not the case they still have management rights and as such any request like that is effectively the same as law. You can be prosecuted for deliberately flouting any part of the park management plan and this forms part of that plan. I have no idea why you want to swim in a freezing cold lake but maybe it has something to do with you only being a member for 10 days and 3 of your 4 posts are in this thread. Who are you really?
> Your such a dick. Not even worth talking too. I'd rather have a cup of tea on top of tongariro with an Israeli, Czech, Swiss, Indian or Chinese tourist than you. @Gaiters, Why do you need to revert to name calling? You seem to be a long term member but yet fail to understand the basic rules. Take a look at point 2 and 4 on the rules of this forum. 1: > Any remarks that are considered to be aggressive, rude, unfriendly, impolite, and disrespectful may be moderated. Please disagree respectfully. 4: > Attacking a person rather than their ideas is not acceptable. This includes conclusions about a person based on other forum topics. For example, "I have noticed that you are always negative and this is more of the same."
You got me mate ban away
You've outright stated that you're intending to go out of your way to do something which you're fully aware is deeply insulting to the people whom DOC and the NZ public already need to keep a good relationship with. Maybe @Gaiters broke some forum rules but I get where he's coming from. And no it's probably not illegal, but that's as much down to the history of lawmaking as anything. If you keep ignoring the general need for respect for each other which goes beyond the law, then it probably soon will be illegal.
1–10 of 12

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Exilr
On 5 October 2018
Replies 11
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown