Late Nov. rain conditions in Wangapeka/Karamea?

I have an 8-day window for a possible tramp 11/17-24, and an important aim will be to do some trout fishing. That's why I'm picking the fishiest area from my several February tramps back in 2010 :) How likely is it that rains will spoil my fishing and make me feel stupid for flying all the way over from a business trip in Melbourne? I confess I'm having decision paralysis on this. A month or five weeks is enough time to find good fishing conditions; but with just a week to spend, am I setting myself up for disappointment? Please let me know all thoughts and opinions, thanks!
32 comments
31–32 of 32

It’s like a life jacket on a boat, you never need it until you do need it. I got one after reading a story of some guy who got his leg stuck between two boulders and he had rescuers there’s in a few hours who had a crow bar to prise the boulders apart. That made me think that there are worse situations than just getting lost.
There's a sobering thread trending about a hunter who took a fall, if you haven't read it. There may be a market for a book of such stories from NZ tracks, similar to the "Sea Kayaker's Deep Trouble" and sequel part II -- a book of stories about kayakers who got in deep trouble and did or didn't make it. The forensic reports are pretty chilling. I'm re-evaluating my notion that walking is safer than paddling, and my attitude toward risk overall. Thanks to everyone who participated in the thread.
31–32 of 32

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Visiting New Zealand
Started by eguillermo
On 4 October 2018
Replies 31
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown