Kaimanawa range in September

1–10 of 13

Hi We are heading to Kaimanawa range this Saturday, will be hiking on the middle range at 1600 meters, from Waipakihi hut to Thunderbolt. Does anybody know if there is a lot of snow/ice at the moment? May be someone has been there recently? I have called DOC, there are trying to find out, but haven't got back to me yet. Thank you
Given time of the year, you probably want crampons and ice axe, at minimum an ice axe. South facing sides probably still have snow ice, even though the tops are fine. As soon as you have to siddle you may need them for a few sections.
Drove past there last weekend - yes a lotta snow still about on them. Given some of those relatively flat tops, could be quite deep in some places on the tops.
Thank you guys We are bringing crampons
There's a huge sika show in Taupo this weekend. Which leads me to believe there will be lots of Sika hunters in the kaimanawa. That would be what I would be more worried about.
Gaiters, could you be specific, why would you be worried about Sika hunters in the Kaimanawa Ranges?
Because they may blow your brains out. Specific enough?
Pull your head in. There is more chance of choking on your tofu.
When there's a big expo on your more likely to get a bunch of hyped up nutters running around desperate to crack off some rounds with the new toys. I'm not talking about the average weekend and the average hunter. It's like when there is a local hunting tournament on or its the middle of the roar. I'm not going bush.
Gotta watch out for hyped up nutters
1–10 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Anya Bachkirova
On 26 September 2018
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown