Ivory Lake Hut to Top Tuke Hut:how dangerous is it

1–10 of 11

I am looking at walking the Waitaha River to Ivory Lake Hut and then exiting via Top Tuke Hut and Dickie Spur Hut. There are good notes on the Remote Huts site....however I am looking for a bit more info on how exposed / dangerous the section from Ivory Lake Hut to Top Tuke Hut is. Any info would be welcome.
I did that route Easter 2003 and it was no problem. A short steep bit at the top of the spur above Ivory Lake, then pretty straight forward after that. Navigation might be a bit of a challenge if the clag comes down, tho.
I've been around those tops several times. In summer conditions with good visibility it is no problem. There is one piece of narrow ridge that has close to a 3m near vertical drop if heading toward Ivory Lake and other steep but not near vertical bits. If you have a head for heights you should be ok. I've done it solo and with others. In iced up conditions considerable care is required!
1 deleted post from glennj
Thanks for the info.Much appreciated. It looks like the same piece of terrain is being referred to when Gazcan talks about a "short steep bit at the top of the spur above Ivory Lake," and glennj says "There is one piece of narrow ridge that has close to a 3m near vertical drop if heading toward Ivory Lake.." We aim to go up this piece of terrain in late March 2019, so I was wondering if you could expand a bit on whether this easily (I know this is a relative term) climbable ie good hand holds; solid non crumbling rocks.. Thanks
This link maybe of some help: http://remotehuts.co.nz/huts/ivory/ That bit is steep, but I don't recall having any dramas.
Thanks gazcan.
I am also considering a trip into Ivory lake from the Tuke so this has been a useful thread. From the description on the remote huts website of the "5m down climb" I was thinking of perhaps taking a rope but it sounds like its more of a scramble than a climb. Thanks all
Yes. remotehuts covers the bit I mentioned. Andrew calls it a 5m exposed down climb with crumbly hand holds that would be a problem for some; the first bit is ok then there is what I called 3m near vertical. When heading up it you should be ok as others in the party will be able to offer a leg up if required. The first person up can then assist the other(s) I've not resorted to a rope there but a short rope may offer some security to members of your party.
If you go in via the Tuke it is worth climbing Mt Beaumont using the track/poled route above Top Tuke Hut and then dropping down to the plateau at the head of the Tuke rather than using the Tuke River bed. I've been the Beaumont way a couple of times and the other way at least four times and found the Beaumont route more enjoyable even though it takes a bit longer.
Thanks Glenn for the info.
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Ararimu12
On 1 September 2018
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown