Harraways Easy Cook Oats

1–10 of 16

During my last visit to Pak'n'Save, I noticed Harraways have a new variety of oats. It is finer ground (similar to those instant oats sachets) and is in a very convenient 280gm mylar ziplock pouch. Much quicker to prepare than normal rolled oats (or I had been using Scotch Oats) and a nice size to carry for a few nights. If the pouch size is only for introductory release, Im going to keep it and refill it :-)
Good scheme on keeping the bag. The more processed oats will have a higher G.I. so won't keep you going as long as the normal ones. You can save time by soaking the oats the night before and if there's some form of fire, precooking them the evening before. I do this with my amaranth/quinoa/buckwheat flakes cereal which has dried fruit added. I add coconut powder, egg-white powder to the cooked slurry then top it with very rich milk powder to prolong the energy boost.
1 deleted post from Yarmoss
@honara. How does cooking vs not cooking affect the GI (and extracted calories)? I've been taking scotch oats & eating them raw for some years (with dry cow & cold water). Seem to have more staying power than cooked porridge.
cooking usually raises GI sometimes allows more calories available for digestion since it heps break down the food and in some cases breaks down substances that may hinder digestion or cause disgestive upsets, depends on the food before humans started cooking food our digestive tracts were a lot larger, since we got less nutrients from raw foods in general... you can easily slow down the absorption of high GI foods by adding more high protein or fatty food to hod them in the stomach longer...
@madpom. I used to find it the other way. Used to do delivery work, load in, load out at pace. Found cooked oats (gloopy) for breakfast gave a longer sustained period of energy. Eating oats like meusli/cornflakes, without cooking, just didn't go the distance. I mthought it was something to do with alterting the chemistry of the carbohydrate ?. Easy enough to whack some oats in a blender to reduce particle size. Zip-lock bags are not expensive in the supermarket. Just add some milk powder & sultanas & breakfast is in the bag.
Im much the same It took a while to work out why I had better energy on the second day of a tramp. Obviously corn flakes dont cut it as an energy food The existing packets of instant porridge are all good and mix well. 2 single serve sachets a good helping milk powder and sugar and 1 cup boiling water. Refill cup with more boiling water and coffee Serve to the willing victim.
the story goes about corn flakes that Kellogg who invented them was a puritan who wanted to invent a food to lower peoples libido. so he came up with corn flakes, breakfast junk food...
Yah. But, it's the style of eating oats. Madpom seems to prefer them 'flakey". I found I lasted longer when they were stewed to gloopiness. Like Geeves, in the one=pot style,a cup of tea goes a long way towards cleaning the food pot & downing the dregs of breakfast. @pseudo.Good find on the Harraways. I've used 2x packs of their Oats Singles in the past. Very tasty, but find their instant oats aren;t the same fodder value as simple oats.
people vary greatly in how they metabolise food, the same food for two people could be metabolised differently GI is an average, some people dont respond to foods as expected for the GI a food that will spike my blood sugar may be a slow form of energy release for someone else and a food thats a slow energy release food for me could spike someone elses blood sugar its what works for you. i know what works for me, but i'm wasting my time if i tell you that is what will work for you, because i have no idea how your metbolism will respond to that food. if a food spikes your blood sugar too much then your body releases a lot of insulin and removes the sugar out of your blood stream leaving you feeling tired and hungry sooner... and as i've said what is going to spike one persons blood sugar can be different from person to person on average high GI foods act like high GI foods for the general population and lower GI foods act like lower GI foods but its just an average and there can be a big variance of responses. some people argue you should try and stick as closely as you can to the diet your ancestors ate in the region they lived in.. because your body may have evolved better to deal with those foods as opposed to ones your ancestors werent exposed to much
Absolutely spot-on, Wayno. I watched a video recently on how different people have completely different reactions to carbs with their post-prandial blood sugar levels. The researcher had developed an algorithm to be able to give diabetics guidance on what foods to avoid. As an aside, I often have to check to see if a patient has been fasting as this will influence whether the test results are in the normal range or not. The number of diabetics who go on to mention they had bloody weetbix and a banana for breakfast makes me despair. The dieticians are telling the patients that weetbix is better than cornies or ricies - yes, it is but not as good as a couple of eggs (in my preference served with spinach and coconut yogurt).
1–10 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by pseudo
On 27 June 2018
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown