Kiwis booking on great walks doubles

1–10 of 26

Doc suspicious people not being honest of their country of ressidence https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2018/06/doc-suspicious-as-number-of-kiwis-walking-abel-tasman-track-doubles.html
""It's a system that's designed to self-select for honesty ...." Conservation Minister Eugenie Sage says. "I hope people will be honest."" What can I say ? Forum rules prevent me from doing so. edit - I've softened a little on this the day after. But not by much.
rangers will now ask for proof of your eligibility for rates for NZ residents or nationals, if you have booked on the discounted rate and cant prove it, then you'll get charged extra, what they can do is when you go to collect your ticket ask at the info center ask for proof of eligibility. routeburn bookings opened today, just checked and its still booking out over the exmas holidays... milford track bookings opened on tuesday and its already booked solid for most of the summer season...
Yeah, it's getting abit ridiculous needing wardens to check trampers ids. There's bound to be a drop in overseas booking, no one likes to pay double what someone else is paying for the same service. I did the Abel Tasman last week, stopping at 3 of the AT huts on the return from doing the Inland Track. It was quiet out of season, but those I met, only 5 and 6 others, so a small sample admittedly, all were none NZ residents, and none said they would have done the tramp at double the cost.
the vast majority of people going through abel tasman go through over summer, after easter numbers plummet. its a beach lovers park. or people looking for an easy walk or kayak.
Off-season prices still low for everybody. No distinction made. Booking site warns that proof of ID will be required at track checkpoints (as Waynowski suggested). I want Wardens to check ID etc. Why is it ridiculous that they do this, please ?. Milford Track 2018-19 is booked solid through to somewhere in March. Name of the game now is to watch for cancellations that you can correlate to a weather forecast. Unfortunately, there is no longer a "next available booking" function button.
in the states you need a permit to walk certain popular tracks and you'll be checked for them and kicked off the track or out of the park if you don't have it if you dont check people will rort the system. on oversubscribed tracks.. i'm not a great fan of whats happening on great walks but i take my girlfriend on great walks, she likes them, they are at her level of tramping. i dont like being squeezed out by people who have never lived in NZ... i dont care where you are from, if you have been living here a while then you should get some sort of priority access to the tracks of your chosen country...
An "honesty" system, for Gods sake! In 2018???? Lmfao! And what exactly are the hut rangers going to do when Johhny Israeli turns up at the Routeburn Falls hut and says hes a NZer, prove otherwise?? DOC Rangers are already toothless. There is literally nothing they can do if I rocked up and said I'm camping on the hut floor, and I'm a kiwi!
Milford Track tickets get picked up from the DoC office. They require your proof of details there. Can you still print off the computer your tickets for the other Great Walks ?. Having to pick them up from an office first would relieve some of the pressure off the Hut Warden
you can just show your print out of your booking when you turn up on the walk without having to go in to pick up tickets... you have to do that when theres a public holiday where the DOC office is closed... or sometimes you dont have time to get to the office before heading off on the track... so then the onus of establishing where someone lives and collecting any penalty is on the hut rangers....
1–10 of 26

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by waynowski
On 20 June 2018
Replies 25
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown