trampers not paying their way

1–10 of 47

This thread branched from "foreigners pay double on southern great walks" on . Explore the branch.

following on from Mosley's post about trampers not paying their way they sound like the same sort of crowd as a lot of the freedom campers. ban freedom campers and you may find you get less of this. theres a whole grapevine and viral media thats feeding the do NZ for cheap, its public knowledge you can dodge hut fees in a lot of huts and the information on where you can do that gets circulated amongst the budget tourists in person and online… the situation is only going to get worse unless nz makes a policy to clamp down on budget tourist numbers. they circle the globe looking for ways to freeload and congregate in known locations where they can freeload.. they camp in the shelters on the great walks, i saw one group want to dump their massive rubbish bag at a hut and expect doc to pay to remove it, ranger wasnt there so i told them they had to carry it out, they dumped it at the road end… doc needs roaming rangers to implement large enforceable fines as they have in the states, that have to be paid before people can leave the country and let the word get around. its the milenial me generation of self entitlement, someone noted to me that young europeans are now a lot more likely to crap absolutely anywhere they want.. on tracks, next to roads and carparks, leave loo paper blowing in the wind. and its the young ones, not hte old ones…. you get your share of americans too. people who havent been brought up with the outdoors etiquette who are here because they are lord or the rings movie fans, not because they are real outdoors people with proper etiquette. its the age of instant gratification, where you dont think about your responsibility to give back, whre you use all the firewood and don't replace it.. where is about what you can get away with… they dont have any issues doing illegal things if they dont think they will get caught…
Yea agree. But the biggest issue (as usual) is who pays for enforcement and the staff required to do this. When I was at DOC, it frequently relied on other concessionaires to police and enforce any polices, strategies and concession special conditions. I think this same mentality would need to be applied to trampers - ie: education messages encouraging all trampers to use peer pressure (ie: paying hut fees, rubbish etc) to rat out those who arent complying. Beyond this, the only thing I think could work is DOC infringement offences to issue tickets to defaulters at those times when rangers ARE around. I think DOC now has the ability to issue tickets now but Im not totally sure what range of offences this may cover.
> its the young ones, not hte old ones That is steriotypical. Im sure some old people are suspects also. I was at Field Hut on Sunday and right behind the toilet was a good 2 shopping bags of toilet paper. Wether or not it was purposley put there or there was a hole in the toilet im not sure but why would anyone dump crap paper right next to a toilet rather than putting it in the toilet? ...
> why would anyone dump crap paper right next to a toilet rather than putting it in the toilet? A wild guess but in some parts of the world the plumbing won't cope with toilet paper. People just expect to put it into a bin beside the toilet instead. Maybe someone didn't have it in their head that paper was anything but general rubbish? Obviously none of which is an excuse for leaving it there.
they leave toilet paper outside the toilet because they cant stand the smell of the toilet so they won't use it... maybe they figure its more likely to be cleaned up by someone else if they leave it nearby as well...
There are a lot of people that dont like the idea of any non flush toilet. These are also the people that carry disinfectant wipes and polish everything before they use it but not after. Ok some loos dont smell that great and there can be fly or 2 but most are not that bad or maybe we are just used to them. Also none of us ever got sick by not caring quite as much about operating theater grade hut bench cleanliness. In fact we probably get sick less because of nice fit immune systems. The mess left behind is just part of the ultra sterile culture. After all you cant get yourself dirty again by cleaning
Thumbs up
The best I can come up with is a cross reference between the data from the intentions book and hut books against the issued backcountry passes and ticket stubs in the huts. This at least could be performed in a reactive, retrospective fashion. Data capture overheads would be annoying, but at least not as difficult as proactive enforcement. It would need some soft approach for changing plans.
Paul, that might lead to some of the freeloaders not signing the hut books. As much as something needs to be done about them, any lost revenue would be far outweighed by the time and money expended in a search and rescue scenario where someone hadn't left adequate information. Not to mention the possibility of someone going missing, and there being absolutely no record, no-one deserves that. That said, I don't have a better solution...More rangers perhaps, as previously said. But who pays for that.
Bla bla bla more of the kiwi hate against foreigners, bloody tourists shitting everywhere and profiting off our taxes and so on. Don't you ever get tired? I've seen lots of huts absolutely trashed by kiwis, leaving garbage everywhere, and worst of all burning all the wood and not getting more for the next person. Oh and did I mention the number of kiwis I met that never paid hut fees? But so far I've never came to the conclusion that all kiwis are freeloaders and uncivilised. Maybe you should also question yourselves and stop generalising? My first experience of a NZ hut was a kiwi family at Trilobite hut, who burned all the firewood during 5 days of stay (it was snowing too), and leaving their trash behind. We, 2 tourists, took out their rubbish. And I've seen plenty of foreigners (and kiwis!) taking care of the land, picking rubbish after people, telling others not to do stupid stuff, and paying their fees. I'm absolutely convinced that both kiwis and non-kiwis do have the same percentage of uncivilised people, but it's always the foreigners who get the blame. When I came here I couldn't believe my friends telling me that NZ was an horribly racist and xenophobic country, but it is the case, and it's not fun being on the wrong side. But maybe here in this forum you guys could do more positive things instead of always reminiscing the same old anti-foreigner stuff that is not only hurtful but also insulting to most of us here, and I know a lot who don't speak anymore here, only because of a handful of aggressive, negative and toxic people who always comment here. As for me I'm really tired and sad of all of that and will be removing all my contributions to this website, I've decided that I don't want my name to be linked to the kind of content that is now common here. Thanks to all who helped and gave useful tips and shared great hikes with me. See you somewhere else :)
i've been tramping nearly 40 years all over the country nzers are at fault too, they used to be the biggest problem because there were more of them tramping than foreigners, b but in my experience now foreigners have become a bigger problem, there are so many more of them and their are more issues now than there have been in hte past. we never used to have anywhere near the amount of rubbish and human waste lying around that we do now... or the amount of free loaders the vast majority of NZers I've tramped with have been good. and a great deal of foreigners too. but the sheer number of foreigners around now has increased the numbers causing issues on a scale we never used to see... flights to nz are cheap in the off season, lots of young people come here in vast numbers we've never seen before , a lot of them behave as they like, like kids away from adult supervision for the firs time... we get the rest of the worlds kids coming here behaving like kids. they have our country to do as they see fit... and that's what a lot of them do...
1–10 of 47

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by waynowski
On 5 June 2018
Replies 46
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown