Recommendations for DWR spray

Im looking for DWR spray to use on my gortex jacket.Most of the sprays I have seen are water based such as nikwax and now grangers since they discontinued their fluorocarbon-based sprays. What DWR spray do you use? and are there any fluorocarbon-based DWR sprays around
16 comments
11–16 of 16

I've often wondered about these treatments if Im wearing my jacket i a lot of rain and you know those moments when you can taste a chemical taste, when the bottom parts of the hood are rubbing on your mouth. Yummy, that cant be good for you
@Waynoski - thanks for all the input. You clearly know way more than I do. What do you do when a jacket starts to go?
I dont use DWR treatments. sometimes a hot wash can boost the DWR , ironing it can help as well. my experience tells me its as much about how smooth the face fabric is as to how well it will repel water..
I dont know if this is still available or even if it is compatible with Gortex or pu membranes. I had a silicone based concrete waterproofing concentrate at home and a jacket that had never been very waterproof so I sprayed it with this stuff and it was great till the jacket wore out. I didnt keep the bottle so dont know what it was called but it was a clear concentrate that was mixed with water at about a cupful to a bucket of water. Was good on concrete as well
problem is it might clog up the gore tex pores and reduce its breathability, some chemicals can destroy the membrane, remember a fair go article about a farmer using gore tex that got wrecked using it on the farm, i think some fuels and lubricants can destroy it
Thats why the first line is a disclaimer. Still might work though on a cheap junk coat. Sil nylon is very waterproof on tents although it doesnt have a long life
11–16 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by fdi4r978fg
On 3 June 2018
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown