What do you wash your GoreTex jacket with?

My jacket recomends Grangers Performance Wash but that costs $25 for 500ml. Would a simple $7 bottle of eco friendly washing liquid hurt the jacket? What do you use?
sportwash from hunting and fishing, same as grangers, half the price commercial products can strip of the water repelent chemical coating from the face fabric, it wont dama the waterproofness but it reduces the water beading and runoff from the face fabric reducing the breathability anyting with ableach in it will damage it anything with softeners or fragrances will leave residue and clog the breathable membrane. you have to be pretty sure about whats in the detergent you're using. something closer to basic soap is a reasonable bet... theres claims you need to run a rinse through your washing machine before you wash to get rid of any residues from detergents used in previous washes. do a wam wash to reduce body oils. i've had ultralight 2 layer jackets delaminate on normal spin cycle when trapped water pushes out the membrane, low speed spin is a safe bet
Soap flakes were recommended to me by gore. Rinse really well. Washing in general will reduce the DWR (Durable water reistance) coating on the fabric. It is affected over time through folding and creasing too. That is normal wear and tear. It can be replaced somewhat later in the life of the item. I would hand wash rather than machine wash or spin. Iron the jacket and the DWR is improved. Don't iron it unwashed.
You dont use much so that $25 isnt that bad compared to wrecking a $500 coat. I like the idea of an empty wash in the machine before doing the jacket but we have never used softner so should be ok. re bleach remember Brightners and whitners = bleach
I use Gecko Guard developed by Earth Sea Sky to restore the DWR. I think a $25 bottle did around 3 treatments. The clothes dryer also helps recondition DWR but Waynowski probably has more info on that. I dread having to wash my jackets as then I have to use the Gecko Guard but it's a necessary cost. Gecko Guard is solvent based not water based and it is more effective. The rival treatments e.g. Garners are water based b/c we're not allowed to import solvent based treatments according to ESS. Bivouac are selling ESS hydrophobia (entrant membrane) for $500.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by fdi4r978fg
On 26 May 2018
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown