Hydration Bladder Retrofit

Looking into obtaining a hydration bladder to fit to my pack/s. Who uses one of these? How effective has it been for you? Has it provided any problems in remaining in place? Ever had it leak or provide any other form of problem. Who has tried one and got rid of it, and why? Anyone got any recommended brands considered better than others. Looking at a longish tramp and think it may be a more convenient way to carry a good supply of water. Would appreciate some learned opinions in this respect. Thank you.
19 comments
11–19 of 19

If only there was somewhere to piss?
I pretty always use a hydration bladder instead of water bottle, the convenience of drinking on the go the big plus. I've been through the spectrum of different brands over the years, and certainly had my share of accidents with rucksacks sat on the bite valve, car foot wells full of water and rucksack and contents likewise :-( Touch wood they to better designed these days, and main brandnames (Platyplus, Camelbak) typically now always have cut off valves next to the bite valve to help prevent the leakage when stored with the rucksacs off your back. I've settled on Platypus these days, I like the wide top opening version which has neat fixture to be able to remove the bladder on it's own. I also like their slimmer stand up bottle versions where you can swap the tube fixing for a plastic bottle or bike bottle like valve, which I use on my foldaway lightweight rucksack I take when intending short walks on kayaking trips. Size is another one, I find two litres ample.
Thumbs up
I always take a drink bottle as a back up just incase the bladder gets a leak. If you have trouble cleaning the bladder hose you can get a long piece of paracord and tie a few knots in it then thread it through the hose and pull the paracord back and foward, the knots will clean and dry the inside of the hose
Thumbs up
Did have a cheapie hose/bite valve set-up with a choice of 2 sizes of screw cap. The idea was that you could screw onto collapsible bottles or soft drink bottles or whatever else you chose. That used to leak inconveniently. But my Camelback has a dedicated on/off tap. Also, the Kathmandu collapsable bottles I was using eventually perished on the seams. Collapsible bottles don't fill up very well in pools of water. The water pressure collapses them.
thanks for the tips on cleaning. I've had a orangey-pink staining occur in the past so the white vinegar and freezer storage hacks are useful information. "bike repair kits are great to fix those holes!" Good to know that too. I've used duct tape but haven't found it to be that effective. When camping away fron a water source, I use the inside bladder of a 3L wine box to lug water to the campsite. So that gives me 5L of water for the evening and the next day if no water on site. \ I've had problems with the platypus bottle eventually leaking around the screw top outlet.
Thumbs up
baby bottle cleaner tablets...
Another optionis home brew bottle sterilizer. Same stuff as the pills tramping shops sell to clean bladders but instead or 2 tablets you get 200g for the same price. Thats a lifetime supply
Many thanks to all that have taken the time to express an opinion. They are all helping to clarify my decision making, although I am unsure about where @Gaiters comment will fit into the equation. Like @bernieq I have tended to carry bottles in the front pockets of my Aarn packs. These packs also lend themselves to having a bladder tucked in back, seen several carrying a bladder here. I just think having the bladder would be more convenient for sipping on the go. I will give it a go and see how it works for me.
Frank, I did carry the bladder in a front pocket, with a shortened tube, and it does work. However, for me at least, I can access the bottle just as easily - the drinking one in the webbing on the right side and the storage one inside the left pocket (so it's balanced). Give the bladder a go - it might be spot on !
11–19 of 19

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by FrankB
On 19 May 2018
Replies 18
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown