Hydration Bladder Retrofit

1–10 of 19

Looking into obtaining a hydration bladder to fit to my pack/s. Who uses one of these? How effective has it been for you? Has it provided any problems in remaining in place? Ever had it leak or provide any other form of problem. Who has tried one and got rid of it, and why? Anyone got any recommended brands considered better than others. Looking at a longish tramp and think it may be a more convenient way to carry a good supply of water. Would appreciate some learned opinions in this respect. Thank you.
After trying Osprey, Camelbak and Platypus bladders, I stick with Camelbak as I have had no issues with them leaking, splitting and can stand being driven over by a car (yes dont ask me how but i managed to accidently drive over my Camelbak with it full of water). My current one is the [Camelbak Crux 3L(https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/CMHYLN719/title/crux-3l-reservoir). I also like Camelbak bladders because they have whats called the "QuickLink" attachemnt system which means you can quickly attach/deattach the tube from the bladder and prevents any water from spilling out. You cant also attach any accessory with the QuickLink fitting to the bladder such as the Camelbak water filter which sits inbetween the tube and the bladder. Attention to convenience and detial are what make Camelbak an awesome brand. They also have a lifetime gaurentee on all their products which is cool. I would recommend getting an insulated tube as the water that sits in the hose tends to heat up in warm weather and freeze in cooler weather.
Most multi-day trips I carry a 2L bladder. It has a wee hook shape on the top opening & all my packs have sleeves & loops for stashing it. Just got to keep in mind that's 2kg of weight. Not necessary to carry full if plenty of stream access ?. If I take 7 sips at a time I can keep track of how I'm getting through it. Keep sipping regularly. If you're not peeing frequently, it's not getting all the way through. Insulated hose doesn't mean much to me. The bladder is positioned against my back, anyway, and picks up body heat, even through the back mesh airspace. My bladder lives in the freezer at home.
I have a bladder but dont use it that much. Summer time in areas with no easy water its a must but otherwise 3l is a lot of water to carry. I dont put it in the bladder sleeve in the pack though. Ive found many times that that pressurises the bladder so when you bite the valve you get a full shower. Much easier to just lay it on top of everything else in the pack
1 deleted post from Pro-active
I used a bladder (in Aus) for a few years but ditched it. I now carry two 1.6L PET bottles (in front pockets of an Aarn pack). In drier areas (eg most of Aus), I also carry a collapsible 5L bag (blue, with handle - $2 on ebay). I ditched it because : comparatively heavy, too tedious to maintain, water temp frequently unpleasant, can't see remaining volume easily. One thing I've seen a few times is bladders leaking while in transport - packs in the back of the car pressing on the bite valve and half a litre ending up on the floor (once soaking into someone's tramping clothes - not happy !) BTW, camelbak 'lifetime warranty' is for the life of the *product* - which is just what you get with consumer law.
I defo use a bladder as there trips I have done where time is of the essence and no stopping to take a drink can be a bonus..... The only issues I have had have been thru user error - I mount mine on the outside of my pack and Waimak matagouri got to it twice (bike repair kits are great to fix those holes!) And Ive also managed to sit on/put my pack on the mouthpiece, this once left me in a tight situation on a remote ridge in the Eyre mountains - couldnt get to water again for another four hours or so. Thats the big thing I look out for anyway - a mouthpiece that you "switch" on or off.
I like to use a bladder when I need a large amount of water (summer and/or long days on ridges). The bladder sits inside the pack, just under the lid and on top of all the other gear, but outside the rubbish bag/dry bag that contains the other gear in case of leaks. I usually carry 1-2 1 litre bottles for electrolytes as well. I've used the same Kathmandu 3 litre bladder for the past 6-7 years that has a fold-over end with a slide clip for easy filling. I've had no issues with leaking from this at all. The bite valve did wear out so that was replaced. The cheap bladders on Trade Me aren't much good, I've had issues with the bite valve leaking/dribbling and getting the screw lid on the bladder to seal tightly. The bladder and tube get cleaned after every trip using white vinegar and completely dried out using a cut away drink bottle with large holes for vents that is inserted into the fold-over end of the bladder and stuck in the hot water cupboard, and so far no problems with gunk/mould growing.
Good tip on cleaning the bladder nzbazza. Another method that Ive found good is keeping the bladder in the freezer in between trips, no issues with mould or anything doing that either. What I would like to investigate is a "safe" bladder material as Im not a fan of liquids being stored in plastic generally. I guess for small periods of time its probably OK however.
I never use one these days. I used to have one on a few trips, but I kept sipping from it so much, and peeing so much... I was drinking way more than ususal because the nozzle was right there clipped to my shoulder strap.
Ive never found the need to pee even when carrying more water. Did a day trip to Kapakapanui on a day that was quite a bit hotter than expected. Finished the 3l bladder on the way up refilled at the hut and emptied again on the way round the loop and down. No loo stops. Im not carrying more than 3 litres. However when its hot its obvious one needs that much water.
1–10 of 19

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by FrankB
On 19 May 2018
Replies 18
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown