What is your pack litre size?

I have the [Macpac Torlesse 65L](https://www.macpac.co.nz/equipment/packs-bags/hiking-tramping-packs/torlesse-65-tramping-pack.html) for overnighters and am wondering if I should downsize or not. It is big enough but not stuffed full either like I still find there are pockets of space that could be filled. What size pack do you have for the typical overnighter?
20 comments
11–20 of 20

Usually a 60l backpack plus 15l of front pocket capacity these days. Would be too small for a multi week trip but I haven't done one of them for 8 years or so. It's fine for a week or so!
Exped lightning 60lt fits everything tent sleeping mat blah blah. Have a 90lt cascade macpac but gets rarely used just for expeditions. Next time it gets used is when the missus and myself do a week plus long tramping/packrafting trip in Greenland next year.
@gaiters Id hate to know what weight ofyour 90l under full load would be! Is the Tararuas good for pack rafting?
Yeah the 90lt gets heavy, but it's best not to think about it. One step at a time and all that. There are many great parts of the Tarrys to pack float or tube. But as far as pack rafting it's not something I have done. Our pack rafting in Greenland is not white water stuff it's more fjords and alpine lakes. Just to up the experience and avoid bush bashing through head high scrub.
Aarn Effortless Rhythm, 72 litre with front pockets. Also have Cascade 90 litre, A smaller Aarn for overnight or two nights. Plus an small Osprey for day.
65 litre Osprey Atom AG. Plenty. I like to have space, and take it even on single day trips as it carries so nicely. And fine for 5 day trips as well.
@Berend de Boer I'm considering getting the Atmos 65 also. In terms of quality and comfort would you recommend it? I really like the mesh suspension thing on the back and the amount of features it has like pockets on the hip belt and pocket for a hydro bladder
I've used my 56L Osprey for week-long trips which is what I bought it for. Though I do have 2L worth of front pockets I've added. I've found it to be an excellent brand.
Used to be Osprey Atmos 52ltr for me, though that finally bit the dust last year. I wasn't as keen on the new model, so replaced it with slightly smaller Osprey Exos 48ltr. It's plenty of room for overnight excursions, tent or no tent, and I used it completing the North West circuit in January, no tent that time.
Sorry fdi4r978fg, hadn't seen your question: "In terms of quality and comfort would you recommend it?" Definitely. I use it all the time even when helping with pest control, where we definitely take rough paths/bush whack. Just indestructible as far as I'm concerned. But I'm also known to be pretty caring of my gear. Have used it for years, would get it again.
11–20 of 20

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by fdi4r978fg
On 24 April 2018
Replies 19
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown