Route from Carkeek to Dracophyllum knob/hut

Hi there - planning my next solo trip - Im after some info - if anyone has it - on a route across the Park Valley from the Carkeek Ridge to Dracophyllum. Planning on knocking off a few huts on this trip - Carkeek hut will be my destination for the night, then the next day I may need to backtrack a bit up the Carkeek ridge to trip across to Drac. I think there is a crossing point across to Nicholls further down the Carkeek ridge/spur, however this is my best chance to knock off Drac. The ridge/spur countours down into Park Valley from point 1285 on Carkeek ridge look like a possibility? Any views or knowledge on a semi-established route this way appreciated. cheers!
42 comments
41–42 of 42

I've backed out from the pinnacles in winter due to hard ice. I was coming from the Arete peak side and hit stuff I couldn't kick into at the top of the 1st real descent of the Pinnacles. It can be a real alpine (i.e. mountaineering/ice climbing) challenge if it's like that. Well beyond my skillset. I bailed down to Arete Forks instead - good soft snow that day and don't recall any particular exposure. Can't recall if I stuck to the track / spur - my memory is of descending a gully of soft snow for the most part. Not sure that helps?
Thumbs up
OK thanks all - I obviously got a bit confused re: where the topomap labels the location of the Waiohine Pinnacles. I wont be going over these after all as they are at the end of Tarn Ridge and before point 1470, on the way to Arete. I am going the other way, from Arete Forks Hut, to point 1470, then on to Lancaster & Thompson. So the bits that I expect to potentially be hairy in winter are the Pinnacles on Pinnacle Spur, coming up from Arete Forks hut. I've seen these in profile when I did Bannister - they didnt look too bad? I think its Waiohine pinnacles that have the reputation? For context, I've done some hairy ridges in the Rua's, including broken axe, the route to Maungahuka, down from angle knob, and down from Girdlestone towards Adkin (in my opinion, the latter was some of the most intense). But of course - none of this in snow or ice.
41–42 of 42

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by si-dog
On 5 March 2018
Replies 41
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown