Route from Carkeek to Dracophyllum knob/hut

Hi there - planning my next solo trip - Im after some info - if anyone has it - on a route across the Park Valley from the Carkeek Ridge to Dracophyllum. Planning on knocking off a few huts on this trip - Carkeek hut will be my destination for the night, then the next day I may need to backtrack a bit up the Carkeek ridge to trip across to Drac. I think there is a crossing point across to Nicholls further down the Carkeek ridge/spur, however this is my best chance to knock off Drac. The ridge/spur countours down into Park Valley from point 1285 on Carkeek ridge look like a possibility? Any views or knowledge on a semi-established route this way appreciated. cheers!
42 comments
21–30 of 42

I opted to sidle the gorge, it was slow going for me. had to climb a few hundred metres up to get away from the steeper slopes.
Thumbs up
@gaiters I believe Thornhills Hut is at Lat: -40.930009 Long: 175.143711 Here it is on google maps https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/40%C2%B055'48.0%22S+175%C2%B008'37.4%22E/@-40.9300049,175.1415169,453m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d-40.930009!4d175.143711
Could I appeal to you to follow other's long-maintained practice of not publishing locations of unofficial huts? A private message might be more appropriate. DOC have already threatened to remove at least one in the Tararuas when it became too well known / well used.
@madpom what are the purpose of these unofficial or 'secret' huts? If DOC does not want the public to know about them then why are they unlocked and open for access to anyone? Also I found the location on Hut Bagger which happens to be documented by you which is freely accessibly to the public
1 deleted post from izogi
They are built illegally by private individuals on doc land. They seem to be tolerated up to a point but as I say one (Snowy) has been theeatened with removal after people wrote about the poor state of it. Just looked at hut bagger. As you say - someone has added a location to the listing I created. Which is a pity.
Speaking of secret huts was at McGregor biv for the night yesterday and contemplated doing a loop to visit jacks biv. But she's getting cold and slippery in those tight tarry river valleys now so I just headed home. McGregor still in good nick, but the hut book is falling apart,
Thumbs up
Yeah. Should have mentioned the second category of 'secret huts': Biodiversity staff huts. These are put out for staff use mainly for specific projects - eg project kaka in the Tararuas. They can be open or locked. As staff-only facilities they are not subject to docs visitor asset inspection regime and rules around public accommodation & associated costs. So my interpretation is they're kept quiet either for that reason or to keep them free & empty for staff/volunteers when needed. Island, upper otaki (&probably jacks) are in that category.
If jacks is kept for doc staff, doc can keep their job lol.
Not been there (Jacks) @gaiters. Understood it was a standard 2 bunk doc bivvy. Am I misinformed?
No your right it's just a dark damp mouldy part of the world.
21–30 of 42

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by si-dog
On 5 March 2018
Replies 41
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown