Packing backpack 50 lt for one 8 days in NZ.

Hi guys...still me...hopefully I'm not being a pain for you. Yesterday I did try to pack my 50 lt backpack for my 8 days in Nz(with routeburn included) and was actually full already with a few items and I'm a bit worried because I didn't even put food that I need for my 3 days track... Now the question is how would you pack your 50 lt backpack for this amount of days and with a great walk to do? Because my backpack is still new if I want I can exchange with a 65 lt to have more space... What you reckon ? How would you pack it ? Have a great day! G.
31 comments
31–31 of 31

@erniec I have a Cumulus Quilt 250 which is fine to 0°C, if you pack some thermals and a beanie. Below that I get some cold patches and need my down jacket to help stay warm enough. I found out that using it like a sleeping bag (not strapping it to the mattress but reducing the straps to the minimum) works better in cold conditions. As for what wayno is saying I do pack a pillow, a silk liner for my sleeping bag, an e-reader/smartphone (reading material), an audio player and headphones, an external battery to recharge all of that (and the cables that go with them), etc. and my pack weight is still about 5-6 kg before food and water. So you can definitely be lighter and still have comfort, and be able to withstand reasonably bad weather conditions :) I've seen hardcore trampers carrying 80 or 90 litres pack as well as hardcore trampers carry little more than a 20 or 30 litres pack, it doesn't really tell you what people are doing to just look at their gear. It's just like saying that you are more of tramper if you use trekking poles or gaiters, it doesn't matter :) And my back (as well as the back of thousands of other people) can tell you that carrying a heavier pack is not a good way to tough it out, it's just a good way to stop being able to tramp earlier by not being able to carry anything on your back anymore :(
31–31 of 31

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by giuseppe23
On 24 January 2018
Replies 30
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown